injured chick needs isolated but shes very lonley

Rushdoggie

Songster
Jun 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
I ended up with a singleton cochin chick and she was injured. She escaped her enclosure in the coop and got pecked very badly. She is remarkably doing ok despite this huge wound on her head, but obviously shes isolated...I don't even want to have her outside now because of flies etc in her wound.

But shes very lonley. I hold her a lot and she enjoys it, and we have her in a bin in the livingroom with us so shes got some social contact, but she needs more space.

I thought about getting another same age chick as a companion, but I can't put them together as the new chick might peck her wound.

I honestly didn't expect her to live, and here she is as sweet as ever. I had no idea any chicken could be so social and cuddly.

What can I do to help her be less isolated as she heals, and at what point would it be safe to introduce her to another chick of the same age so she has a buddy as she gets re-integrated with the flock?

How old is she?
Is it possible to just keep her in the brooder with everyone else with a piece of chicken wire or hardware cloth divider? So she can still be "with" the rest of the flock but protected. The longer any bird is completely separated the harder it will be to reintegrate. After about a week or two chicks do learn to recognize each other.

You could also try spraying her head with blue-kote, it's blue to mask the red injury and not attract pecking and might deter flies as well.

I ended up with a singleton cochin chick and she was injured. She escaped her enclosure in the coop and got pecked very badly. She is remarkably doing ok despite this huge wound on her head, but obviously shes isolated...I don't even want to have her outside now because of flies etc in her wound.

But shes very lonley. I hold her a lot and she enjoys it, and we have her in a bin in the livingroom with us so shes got some social contact, but she needs more space.

I thought about getting another same age chick as a companion, but I can't put them together as the new chick might peck her wound.

I honestly didn't expect her to live, and here she is as sweet as ever. I had no idea any chicken could be so social and cuddly.

What can I do to help her be less isolated as she heals, and at what point would it be safe to introduce her to another chick of the same age so she has a buddy as she gets re-integrated with the flock?

Can you post a picture of her injury?
Putting a coat of pine tar on the wound will not only help it heal, it will stop the other chicks from pecking it.

I second the Blu Kote. Stuff works wonders. Chick might be small to spray but spray some in a dish and dab it on with a cuetip before it dries. Cover the entire wound and a bit past it. Get her back with the other chicks and make sure they can't escape with the bigger birds.

Yes try the blu kote, it is great stuff. Be warned, it will make everything blue! The first time I used it, my fingers were blue for a week!

injuries.jpg injuries2.jpg

I am just so sick over this. Its totally my fault for not being as careful as I should have in the coop divider.

It does look like the top of her skull is exposed. Might be better to isolate her and watch if flies are getting to the wound. If so, you are going to have to bring her indoors before it becomes infested with maggots. It might heal, it might not. I had one bird that was horribly injured by a dog that did recover after several months in isolation in a crate. If she is lonely, maybe give her a small chick for company as it won't be attacking her.

If you decide to isolate her, you can use a triple antibiotic ointment on the injured area instead of the blu kote. I would probably opt for the isolation just until the wound starts to heal up and if she's inside, that will lessen the chance of flies getting to her. Plus it will be easier to keep clean. I think as long as she is eating and drinking, even with assistance, there is a good chance for recovery.
You could give her a small stuffed animal in her crate, I did that once for my wry neck chick and it seemed to calm her.

So, as an update, she seems to be doing OK. Her wound is healing amazingly well. I did end up getting her a 6 week old baby as a friend. It was a good decision, she is clearly happier with a pal.

I kept them inside the garage or in a ex pen outside covered with screening for a few weeks and I cleaner her wound every day looking for maggots. After it was a little better I m healing head.jpg oved them outside.

I also was able to get a small coop that she shares with Baby baby (because I haven't named her new pal), which is in the chicken yard next to the other coop and run and they alternate being loose in the yard with the bigger chickens.

My Australorpe Julian is a very dominant chicken and postures a lot but shes already the same size and seems less concerned. I'm pretty sure she got cornered when she got attacked and that is why Julian really went at her. My EE Ricky is sweet and can be loose with the babies (I have let them out together with supervision, hose at the ready).

Today I let them share the yard free ranging for about 30 minutes (supervised). Julian charged at the babies a few times but they moved off and she didn't chase. I am hopeful they can be integrated eventually.

I plan to replace my current big coop (because I hate it) later this summer, I am thinking that might be a good point, so its new to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom