Injured legs and problem bonding

Last update- they have made a complete recovery! The one who I think had the broken pelvis has a slightly altered gait, but most people would never notice. They are no longer allowed into the horse corral, but are able to spend time with the horses out in the pasture. Not the best photo, but you can juuust make them out laying in the sun with their horse friends 🥰

Attachments

• 59D89F57-FB57-4E24-96D8-4372FD664267.jpeg
    59D89F57-FB57-4E24-96D8-4372FD664267.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 8
Last update- they have made a complete recovery! The one who I think had the broken pelvis has a slightly altered gait, but most people would never notice. They are no longer allowed into the horse corral, but are able to spend time with the horses out in the pasture. Not the best photo, but you can juuust make them out laying in the sun with their horse friends 🥰
Wonderful!

As they get older arthritis could set in early with the one with the pelvic injury. If that happens meloxicam is used for arthritis pain. I remember an elderly gander on instagram “The General” had an old pelvic injury and that’s what he was put on.

I am using Cosequin for horses for my Muscovy drake who just turned 12 yrs old, He had an injury that turned into arthritis and had a bad limp, a friend on here had to take one of her ducks to the vet for an injury and the vet rec Cosequin with MSM so I started my drake on some and he no longer limps. Great stuff and no prescription.

I am using Cosequin for horses for my Muscovy drake who just turned 12 yrs old, He had an injury that turned into arthritis and had a bad limp, a friend on here had to take one of her ducks to the vet for an injury and the vet rec Cosequin with MSM so I started my drake on some and he no longer limps. Great stuff and no prescription.
Hello, I have a Pekin that just started limping and I believe it to be arthritis. It wasn't too bad over the summer but now that it's getting colder, she's having more issue with it. I bought the cosamin ds to try (not sure if it's the same or not). How much did you give your drake and how did you get him to eat it? Any advice is appreciated. Glad your baby is better!

My flock loves small dog food [dry] so I put a small amount of dry dog food into a bowl then put the Cosequin over it and add just enough warm water that it is absorbed into the dog food my drake loves it. You could use mealworms or another treat she likes. I use less than a half tablespoon of the Cosequin. He weighs around 12-14 lbs. The Cosequin has to have MSM in it according to the avian vet who prescribed it for my friend's duck. Start out with about a teaspoon then go up till you see the limping stopped. You've checked her feet real well for bumble and is there swelling heat or redness anywhere along the affected leg?

I use durvet vitamin B complex or aspen pet vita-jec B complex as oral B vitamins for my geese and ducks.

I’m not sure what the best biotin supplement is.

For niacin I buy plain old tablets for humans soak them over night and pour the liquid over the food and stir in the morning. I also use horse supplements for multi vitamins every day. Found a good flax seed mix called Supper B-Plex. Its kinda funny but horses and geese require allot of the same things. You can find other supplier my feed store carry's it since its local but here is a link so you can read the label. https://www.su-perstore.com/m7/sfebplexpowder--su-per-b-plex-powder.html

Last edited:
For niacin I buy plain old tablets for humans soak them over night and pour the liquid over the food and stir in the morning. I also use horse supplements for multi vitamins every day. Found a good flax seed mix called Supper B-Plex. Its kinda funny but horses and geese require allot of the same things. You can find other supplier my feed store carry's it since its local but here is a link so you can read the label. https://www.su-perstore.com/m7/sfebplexpowder--su-per-b-plex-powder.html
just a side note i think the niacin tablets must be "plain" like @JRies said, they can not be time release kind or flush free.

Back
Top Bottom