Interest in Pheasants: Questions

I apologize, looking back at my original post, I see I did not make my intention very clear at all. I understand the importance of preserving purity of lines. I've seen that even in my limited experience with (or, more accurately, research about) chickens. I imagine it's even more important with pheasants, because pheasants are not thoroughly domesticated (and, therefore, not so genetically diverse) as chickens.

I appreciate your concern that I start out right, and if I ever do get into pheasants, I will seek to take your advice and preserve the purity of whatever species I would acquire.

By the way, I meant no sarcasm in addressing you as "sir." I meant it as a respectful title. I try to address people who know more about poultry than I do in such ways, as an expression of my admiration for their work. If you visit the topic "Oriental Gamefowl Thread," I think you will find some examples of this when I spoke with various experienced poultry keepers there. :)

welcome to the pheasant clan sorry about my response gresh, good luck to the pheasant breeding, some extra advice take extra time to learn the sanitation programs (health care) for your birds this is very important this is here were you get knowledge expierence to keep these wild birds were it help it in the future to keep the more difficult species and it help me a lot . There was some challenges for me during the 2012/2013 season were I only lost a female turkey and chukar of all my birds

I apologize, looking back at my original post, I see I did not make my intention very clear at all. I understand the importance of preserving purity of lines. I've seen that even in my limited experience with (or, more accurately, research about) chickens. I imagine it's even more important with pheasants, because pheasants are not thoroughly domesticated (and, therefore, not so genetically diverse) as chickens.

I appreciate your concern that I start out right, and if I ever do get into pheasants, I will seek to take your advice and preserve the purity of whatever species I would acquire.

By the way, I meant no sarcasm in addressing you as "sir." I meant it as a respectful title. I try to address people who know more about poultry than I do in such ways, as an expression of my admiration for their work. If you visit the topic "Oriental Gamefowl Thread," I think you will find some examples of this when I spoke with various experienced poultry keepers there. :)

welcome to the pheasant clan sorry about my response gresh, good luck to the pheasant breeding, some extra advice take extra time to learn the sanitation programs (health care) for your birds this is very important this is here were you get knowledge expierence to keep these wild birds were it help it in the future to keep the more difficult species and it help me a lot . There was some challenges for me during the 2012/2013 season were I only lost a female turkey and chukar of all my birds

Ditto all Shawn's statements. You can't go wrong starting with Golden Pheasants - small, easy, tame, affordable, and beautiful. Read all the material you can get your hands on before you get them and you'll do great.

Dan

where are some good places to find this Info are there any good books in particular or just keep cruising the web??

I've been considering getting quail, pheasants, and/or chukar to use to train my Pointer. Are there any recommendations of a good book to get for more info about these birds?

Back
Top Bottom