Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics

Can you see the duckling better in this pic?

To me, the duckling looks fine... just very not ready yet... at this point, there's really not much you can do but wait, in my opinion... it will start struggling mightily when it's ready, if there's internal damages then it just may not make it... not your fault either way... :hugs

My experience is with chicks, but I agree with most of what's said. By the way it looks there's a lot of blood in the membrane yet. You have the face clear, so at this point I would keep the exposed membrane moist and give it a lot of time for the vascular system between duck and chick to shut down. Keep humidity up and we'll keep our fingers crossed for the little one.

Last edited:

Can you see the duckling better in this pic?
To me, the duckling looks fine... just very not ready yet... at this point, there's really not much you can do but wait, in my opinion... it will start struggling mightily when it's ready, if there's internal damages then it just may not make it... not your fault either way...
hugs.gif
My experience is with chicks, but I agree with most of what's said. By the way it looks there's a lot of blood in the membrane yet. You have the face clear, so at this point I would keep the exposed membrane moist and give it a lot of time for the vascular system between duck and chick to shut down. Keep humidity up and we'll keep our fingers crossed for the little one.
I agree completely with what has already been said
not quite ready i would say probably 36-48 hours, keep the membrane moist and humidity up
to keep the membrane moist you can use triple antibiotic, coconut oil, etc

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
@rehabber0909

what day was this egg on when you stepped on it?

Hi, Rehabber said momma duck stepped on it
And they said it was peeping in the crushed shell, so it had to be close to due date, but it would be interesting to know

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:
I slathered her membrane and the inside of the shell that's still intact with coconut oil. I'm trying to keep the humidity up and just watching her at this point. She opens and closes her bill a lot. Like she's swallowing or eating. She seems to be breathing fine. Hoping this little one pulls through!
1f64f.png

I slathered her membrane and the inside of the shell that's still intact with coconut oil. I'm trying to keep the humidity up and just watching her at this point. She opens and closes her bill a lot. Like she's swallowing or eating. She seems to be breathing fine. Hoping this little one pulls through!
1f64f.png

They do the bill opening and closing thing while they are absorbing the yolk :) So she needs more time yet, just keep an eye on her.

1f64f.png

Yay!
celebrate.gif
You're doing a great job!

1f64f.png
good news so far!

I just saw your comment. She's been sitting on her nest for 31 days. I've candled the eggs a few times and there's all different stages of development. I have one other hen. I'm wondering if she layed the older eggs and the current sitting hen layed the others? Do they usually have so many different stages of development in one nest? I took out about half and put them in the incubator because there were 20 eggs in there, I'm thinking one started and the other finished. So to answer your question...I have no idea!

Back
Top Bottom