Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
To me, the duckling looks fine... just very not ready yet... at this point, there's really not much you can do but wait, in my opinion... it will start struggling mightily when it's ready, if there's internal damages then it just may not make it... not your fault either way... :hugs

X many

She's almost all the way out. Peeping some. Looks worn out. Can you see the yolk sac? It's so big. I'm afraid she is too young to survive
1f622.png

She's almost all the way out. Peeping some. Looks worn out. Can you see the yolk sac? It's so big. I'm afraid she is too young to survive
1f622.png

Yep, definitely opened the egg too soon :( That's why we were saying in the other thread not to open the egg any further than an external pip.

But, don't panic, we can take care of this. Put her back in the egg shell and put her upright in a cup that she can't move around in. It needs to hold her upright and keep her in the shell. Keep the humidity very high so the yolk doesn't dry out. Leave her like this until the yolk absorbs.

Don't let her get all the way out and drag that sac around because she might rupture it. Get her in the cup right away.

Last edited:
Yep, definitely opened the egg too soon
sad.png
That's why we were saying in the other thread not to open the egg any further than an external pip.

But, don't panic, we can take care of this. Put her back in the egg shell and put her upright in a cup that she can't move around in. It needs to hold her upright and keep her in the shell. Keep the humidity very high so the yolk doesn't dry out. Leave her like this until the yolk absorbs.

Don't let her get all the way out and drag that sac around because she might rupture it. Get her in the cup right away.
X10000

I tried to make her cozy. She's very floppy
1f622.png
I know that's not good, but I'm still holding out hope for her. I'm glad you suggested that. I was actually thinking that I should somehow prop her up. Cup is a perfect idea! Thank you so much! Give me a squirrel or possum baby and I can go to it, but I'm out of my element here. Thank God for all ya'll!

Yep, definitely opened the egg too soon :( That's why we were saying in the other thread not to open the egg any further than an external pip.

Ditto.

If it ends up rupturing, I have a post I can refer you to to possibly save it. Here's hoping it doesn't. :fl

Hi, before the pitchforks come out (or too late already?) If you'll note, I clearly recommended that the beak and no more than head and shoulders only be opened. I clearly stated that the duckling should stay in the membrane due to the possibility of yolk absorption. Because the egg had been crushed and disrupted, some of the veins possibly had bled. It could have led the duckling to aspirate blood and drown which is why an air passageway was suggested.
None of us are there and none of us has all the answers. What would you have said if the duckling drowned in its blood by waiting for an airway? Its easy to condemn someone's help when you aren't the one making those suggestions. Waiting for air could have been just as detrimental, but we don't know do we?
Please don't make the original poster feel badly for helping, and kindly not criticize the poster of the thread you are on. All users advice on this site is offered as help and doesn't fit every situation, so we have to take that into account. Please be kind, because in making a blanket statement about intervention, you are possibly offending the people that chose to do so.

Maybe those that oppose should just share a byc link to threads that say you shouldn't intervene when people ask for help on this thread? This thread was written as a help when people felt they had no options, it's an option that can be chosen and has helped save many birds, but it's not the final authority for every situation-there are too many variables.

Last edited:
Hi, before the pitchforks come out (or too late already?) If you'll note, I clearly recommended that the beak and no more than head and shoulders only be opened. I clearly stated that the duckling should stay in the membrane due to the possibility of yolk absorption. Because the egg had been crushed and disrupted, some of the veins possibly had bled. It could have led the duckling to aspirate blood and drown which is why an air passageway was suggested.
None of us are there and none of us has all the answers. What would you have said if the duckling drowned in its blood by waiting for an airway? Its easy to condemn someone's help when you aren't the one making those suggestions. Waiting for air could have been just as detrimental, but we don't know do we?
Please don't make the original poster feel badly for helping, and kindly not criticize the poster of the thread you are on. All users advice on this site is offered as help and doesn't fit every situation, so we have to take that into account. Please be kind, because in making a blanket statement about intervention, you are possibly offending the people that chose to do so.

I think I missed something. Nobody is bashing anyone for offering advice. :confused:

So far, so good. She's breathing and that's about all I can tell you. No bleeding. I have her nestled in a cup. She's in the incubator nice and moist and slippery from coconut oil. If she doesn't make it, it won't be for a lack of trying. You know they say it takes a village to raise a child? Well apparently it takes people from all walks of life to save a baby duck! I'm very humbled and grateful for everyone's advice and concern for this little one. Thanks again ya'll!
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom