Investing More In American Dominiques

Yesterday we jumped numerous rabbits and could see multiples at a time. Today, even with dogs, only one jumped in a 4 acre area and he nearly had to be kicked to get him up. I was hunting. During entire time an American Dominique cock followed the dogs and I as we went about. He was a distraction for me.

Green up already evident after burn. New growth is already an inch tall even when high barely reached 50 F. Yesterday evening I had about 7 male Cardinals looking for something among the ash. Morning Doves also in the area. Hopefully not too much planted seed being consumed.

Green up already evident after burn. New growth is already an inch tall even when high barely reached 50 F. Yesterday evening I had about 7 male Cardinals looking for something among the ash. Morning Doves also in the area. Hopefully not too much planted seed being consumed.
You can hope...but...may be a new training target for pups?

Was there quite a bit of ash?

Excess wood ash I don't use in chicken areas seems to attract wild birds. Cardinals are the most frequent customers to ash pile - I see them dust bathing and what looks like consuming small bits of charcoal just like the chickens do. Of course, they will be interested in your seed too, especially if native seeds they are accustomed to.

MOLE PROBLEMS.jpg
Fence deaded out and I could not spot any plants touching wire.

Then I went back over an checked for other possibilities.

Moles did it this time.

MOLE PROBLEMS2.jpg

Last edited:
At about 1600 I got home and started for barn to care for critters. Dogs were not present, but I could see their tracks left by running to barn where they then cut off down to woods just short of fence. When I got about 20' feet into fence area I came across Coyote tracks and though oh crap. I did not go more than another 20 feet and saw tracks crossing first set and a little farther saw even more. Coyote working the whole area. I slipped up by barn and could see where it came to within 10' of entrance. Coyote went just about every where but did come within 10' of any of the pens. Rabbit tracks where all over the place with some showing signs of running hard and turning close to where Coyote tracks did same. Then I checked fence perimeter and found 6 locations where the same animal crossed the fence often making you turns and going right back across without jumping. Fence clearly dead then. Then I walked about and found no less than four dead shorts, all in or in contact with barn. Temperature changes seem of have stretched things or broke a plastic insulator. Repairs quick and fence hot again. If Coyote braves dogs, then fence will spice up its day. In a bit I will go out and see if Dog tracks line out Coyote tracks that appear to be exiting path.

I do have too many rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom