Is $200 a good price for small, used coop?

Why do you feel you can't build one yourself? Myself and others included, I'm sure, had very little carpentry experience before we built our coops.

If it was in decent condition I wouldn't baulk @ the 200 price tag...my main problem is him not letting you see it unless you commit to buy it. That is completely ridiculous! That would worry me. 200 for a decent coop where you don't have to invest alot of time or money to finish it off isn't unheard of...but 200 for a rotting piece of crap would suck. If it were me if he wouldn't let me look at in person I'd tell him to to have a nice day.

Why do you feel you can't build one yourself? Myself and others included, I'm sure, had very little carpentry experience before we built our coops.

The reason I cannot build a coop myself is because the only two tools I own are a hammer and a screw driver. That won't get me far, and purchasing the tools needed to build a coop would cost more than paying someone else to do the work.

I did find a carpenter who seemed like he could build something for a reasonable price. All I need to do is send him a picture of what I would like with measurements and he can give me an estimate. He said work is slow due to the cold weather and snow, so he could build me something quickly in his garage. Perfect!

P.S.
I told the guy with the $200 used coop to take a hike. The whole vibe felt off, so I had to go with my (and your) gut.

A decent book that I checked out of our local library is Building Chicken Coops for Dummies. They do a great job 'teaching' you how to build a coop. It even gives you several designs with material and cut lists. You can rent tools from a rental company. Grab a friend and build your own. Or get some ideas for the carpenter to build.

My only regret is that I didn't get a bigger coop... Chickens are addicting:D

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom