Is $4/dozen pastured eggs to much? Suburban upstate, NY...

MotherEarthNews is simply not a credible news source - they're an agenda driven organization, and they don't understand basic scientific principles. There's a reason none of their actual results are published - they don't hold up to scrutiny. That article for instance - compares their own testing data (which they won't reveal the actual numbers) for free range pastured birds, to the USDAs numbers for battery birds. There's no indication on whether they're using the same measurement methods, testing in the same manner, etc. Like most of their stands, they're conflating several issues at once - and not keeping things straight.

Home eggs are fresher - I don't think there's any debate on that. Beyond that though, egg nutrition is largely genetic, and somewhat influenced by the birds diet - pastured eggs are healthier than battery eggs - but you can buy pastured eggs at every supermarket nowadays. Birds that eat predominately layer food, and are generally confined, are going to produce eggs of similar nutrient profile - whether they're raised on a factory farm, or in the 10x12 run in someone's backyard. Birds that are out foraging are going to produce eggs dependent on what they catch, whether that's in a 200,000 acre commercial ranch, or in my 5 or so acres of pastures.

There are plenty of reasons to raise backyard birds - but egg nutrition really isn't one of them. (Ethical reasons, love of animals, etc) - And I say this as someone who sells duck, goose, and chicken eggs out of his backyard - I'd rather have my eggs bought for what they actually are, then lie to my customers. People want to buy more humanely raised eggs/dairy/meat these days - there's no reason to mislead them.

Here's another MEN article on chickens - see how many logical leaps the author makes?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/eat-white-chicken-eggs.aspx#axzz3JdjdLQeO
He starts out by telling people they need to eat white eggs because white layers convert food better (true), then gets squicked out and decides people should get heritage birds because you don't have to kill the roosters. He comes to this entire conclusion based on one companies numbers for their two layer lines - he doesn't bother to check any of the other largescale producers. He doesn't bother to even check into feed conversion rates for heritage birds - yet still tries to spin it that white eggs are better, etc. It's a propaganda rag masquerading as science. He pushes heritage birds as environmental choice despite the fact that having a flock of meat birds and a flock of egg birds is drastically more food efficient than having a flock of dual purpose birds- not an ethical choice (which would be fine) - but an environmental one.

The Egg Board statement goes on to say: “The nutrient content
of eggs is not affected by whether hens are raised free-range or in
floor or cage operations.”
Again, that is hogwash. They think they can simply ignore
the growing body of evidence that clearly shows that eggs are
superior when the hens are allowed to eat their natural diet. Or
maybe they think it’s OK to mislead the public to protect egg
producers’ bottom line.
After we published our first report about
the high nutrient levels in pastured eggs, the
Egg Nutrition Council questioned our “sug-
gestion” that pastured eggs were better in
their Aug. 8, 2005, newsletter:
“Barring special diets or breeds, egg nutri-
ents are most likely similar for egg-laying hens,
no matter how they are raised.” There’s that
double-speak, again: “Barring special diets ...”
Since when are diets not a part of how chickens
are raised? Come on, people, we’ve cited six
studies (see Page 48) showing that pastured eggs are better. The
best you can say is “most likely” this evidence is wrong? Cite some
science to support your assertions!
The U.S. Poultry and Egg
Association offers the same misleading statement on its Web site:
“What are free-range eggs? Free-range eggs are from hens that
live outdoors or have access to the outdoors. The nutrient content
of eggs from free-range hens is the same as those from hens housed
in production facilities with cages.”
real
food
All values are per
100 grams of egg.
Vitamin E
(mg)
Vit. A Activity
(IU)
Beta Carotene
(mcg)
Omega-3s
(g)
Cholesterol
(mg)
Sat. Fat
(g)
Eggs from Confined Birds
(per USDA Nutrient Database)
0.97 487 10 0.22 423 3.1
Free-range Egg Averages
M
OTHER
E
ARTH
N
EWS
, 2007
3.73 791.86 79.03 0.66 277 2.4
Red Stuga; Topeka, KS;
Welsummers
3.35 790 73.8 0.69 350 2.07
Polyface Farm; Swoope, VA;
Mixed Non-Hybrid Breeds
7.37 763 76.2 0.71 292 2.31
Shady Grove Farm/American Livestock
Breeds Conservancy; Hurdle Mills, NC;
Buckeyes
2.68 683 42.0 0.59 321 3.16
Norton Creek Products; Blodgett, OR;
Mixed Breeds
2.68 781 102.0 0.55 272 1.88
Skagit River Ranch; Sedro Woolley, WA;
Mixed Breeds
4.02 1013 99.6 0.74 335 2.68
Spring Mountain Farms; Lehighton, PA;
Red Sex-Links
5.36 813 90.0 0.68 231 1.99
Harmony Hill; Troutville, VA;
Rhode Island Reds
1.34 700 69.6 0.49 286 3.38
Rocky Run Farm; Dunnville, KY;
Brown Leghorns
2.68 Not Tested Not Tested 0.64 301 2.48
Misty Meadows Farm; Everson, WA;
Red Sex-Links
3.35 Not Tested Not Tested 0.85 283 2.19
Sparkling Earth Farm; Burnsville, NC;
Bovans Browns
3.35 Not Tested Not Tested 0.80 218 2.68
Windy Island Acres; Dayville, CT;
Mixed Breeds
6.03 Not Tested Not Tested 0.52 271 2.60
World’s Best Eggs; Elgin, TX;
Bovans Browns
4.02 Not Tested Not Tested 0.46 246 2.01
Longbranch Farm; Fair Play, SC;
Araucanas/Ameraucanas
1.34 Not Tested Not Tested 0.87 271 2.37
Springfield Farm; Sparks, MD;
Red Sex-Links
4.69 Not Tested Not Tested 0.60 201 1.83
MOTHER EARTH NEWS
October/November 2007
These happy hens at Misty Meadows Farm in Washington produce eggs with
quadruple the heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids of conventional eggs!
MELISSA MOELLER/MISTY MEADOWS FARM
-
E
g
g
s
T
A
i
n
d
d
42-48 Eggs TA.indd 44
/
/
:
:
P
M
8/16/07 5:10:45 PM

I'm in northern Calif and $4 is average. I've been toying with raising it to $4.25. But that's CA :) Remember that the CAFO poultry houses get their feed in railroad carloads. There is something (actually a lot) to be said for small operations, even backyard coops and the eggs produced. Here in CA we can't advertise to the public w/o a license, so I work on word of mouth. People are waking up food-wise and know that quality food costs more, but are willing to pay.

Thanks!! I feel like $4, adequately explained to customers via signage, will be no problem. We have a pretty good summer-early fall following at our veggie stand, so I think we've got those months covered. I'm pretty decent with photography, so I think I'll laminate some pics of the happy chickens in their pasture and explain why fresh, pastured eggs are best :)

And my youngest son, for whom this is his "job," wants to have a little "egg route" every Saturday morning. With people around here going back to Milkman-glass-bottle-delivery and subscriptions to Field Goods and Farm Co-Ops, I think i should be good.

I think it depends on your market. If you have ever been to a Sprouts or a health food market you would probably be surprised at what they charge. Sometimes people will pay to know the "grower" of the product. It can be a wired market.:D

I live in SW Montana. I sell eggs for $2/dozen. That's enough to keep the girls in laying mash and scratch. I sell to neighbors and I also sell at the local farmers' market. I have many customers who tell me I should ask at least $3/dozen. But I'm content at the $2 level. I have 35 golden sex links hens and they laid really well until our latest cold snap a week ago. They're now down from about 28 eggs a day to 17 a day.
I have so much demand that I can hardly keep up to it. But I'm not going to use artificial light to try to increase production. I don't think that's fair or natural for the girls. Obviously, I'm not into this for the money. I just enjoy having the girls around the yard. Jim Schwindt

Hi, raising your own chickens is not cheaper in most cases but its the quality of the eggs...that beautiful taste and yellow yoke. Its that you know your chickens are healthy, raised with love, given a quality life that makes them worth so much to you. I just got rid of my ducks for we are moving back to Tn in a month. I spend more money on my ducks and time...but they gave me hundreds of dollars of joy. They are cheaper than a head doctor and more effective. I miss them so much. We will have them again next year after we are settled. See if they will pay $4.00 or go down a bit. A clean farm where you see the animals are well taken care of does matter to many. Others don't want to know.
I

No we're outside hartford ct and sell eggs pastured chickens with organic feed for $5/dozen but have regular customer list. I tell people who buy eggs for $2/dozen to eat the container also since it has about the same nutritional value as the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom