Is a chicken considered a fowl or a bird? Can it be considered a pet?

We have two situations going on here.
OP is in an area where it is clear that chickens aren't allowed. But they want chickens so theyre looking for options and support to break the rules because thats what they want.
Situation 2 is about someone that is breaking no rules and dealing with someone that wants things their way even though there are no rules being broken.
Its clear which side I'm on in both situations. Now if you can't agree and you want to back the opposite in both situations thats fine. We all get opinions about right and wrong.
I am not trying to take sides. My opinion is the same for both: "Talk to your neighbors and find a solution that makes everyone happy." I have never had a neighbor dispute that couldn't be solved with kindness.

OP said they have had a great relationship with their neighbors for 20 years. It doesn't sound like they are demanding their neighbors to be chicken fans. They just want to have 4 hens. You're projecting your lived experience onto someone else who is in a totally different situation.
Yes. And i stated be aware that a new person could move in after she had them. That was my advice. To be aware a new person could move in. Like what happened in my situation. A new person moved in last year and has been a big problem. We have all lived here for years and all get along. That one new person is the problem. And we are in compliance with city rules. She would not be and thus have no leg to stand on in a situation like mine. Better that she follow the other posters advice and try to get it changed to allow for chickens then she can have them and any new person couldn't stop her. Life happens. Someone in her area may need to sell and move. Grace forbid, but what if one has a car crash and their spouse must move. It happens. That was my point. Im sorry it caused such an issue. It wasn't my intention to get everyone upset. I was only trying to give advice with a life experience. Im sorry for upsetting everyone.

Last edited:
I wasn't allowed to have "livestock" in my old neighborhood. I gave my neighbors free eggs now and then, and no one ever complained. I actually bought the eggs from the supermarket and repackaged them”
That’s hilarious! Did they tell you how much better those eggs tasted? I’m going to bribe my neighbors with eggs also when I get enough eggs. We can have up to 10 hens here, but it’s nice to be friendly, and hens can be loud!

Yes exactly there are some people who will complain no matter what the rules are. My point is that it is more important to have a good relationship with your neighbors. Sounds like you are not able to have a good relationship with your neighbor even if you follow the rules so :idunno.
We did try. As i said. We all tried with the police there as well. Her husband was trying to talk to her. She just wants to complain. So now we just laugh. Everyone laughs. It is better than standing in our yards screaming at her. She stands there screaming and pointing like a loon and we just wave and laugh amongst ourselves. Better than fighting. Let her have the tantrum and we will enjoy our hobbies. I did not intend to start any fights. I was simply trying to give a word of caution to the poster about issues with new additions to a neighborhood. They do happen. People have life events and cause them to sell up and move on. Then you get a new neighbor who may or may not be a busybody. It would be better for them to try to get the ordnance changed than have the heart break of loosing her babies. I know it would crush me to give up my birdies. I love them. But I only have my ducks at my house because one of my chickens turned out to be a Roo. So they now live at my boyfriend's house. I keep the ducks, he keeps the chickens. I still see mine all the time. But it sucks to be away from them. With that particular lady living across the way I know there is no way i could "hide" my roo. So not going to try. But that is me. I am also working with a local group to try to get the laws changed to allow for roos but that is a long way off yet.

Yes. And i stated be aware that a new person could move in after she had them. That was my advice. To be aware a new person could move in. Like what happened in my situation. A new person moved in last year and has been a big problem. We have all lived here for years and all get along. That one new person is the problem. And we are in compliance with city rules. She would not be and thus have no leg to stand on in a situation like mine. Better that she follow the other posters advice and try to get it changed to allow for chickens then she can have them and any new person couldn't stop her. Life happens. Someone in her area may need to sell and move. Grace forbid, but what if one has a car crash and their spouse must move. It happens. That was my point. Im sorry it caused such an issue. It wasn't my intention to get everyone upset. I was only trying to give advice with a life experience. Im sorry for upsetting everyone.
It's all good! No one is upset :thumbsup

Yes exactly there are some people who will complain no matter what the rules are. My point is that it is more important to have a good relationship with your neighbors. Sounds like you are not able to have a good relationship with your neighbor even if you follow the rules so :idunno.
Yes, that is 100% most important with ordinances! But, there might talwasy be THAT person who wants to tatted just because, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom