Is a chicken considered a fowl or a bird? Can it be considered a pet?

Legally chickens are fowl. Like if you called them dogs or cats, it doesn't change the fact that they're fowl.

Whether or not you'll get reported is another matter - depends on your relationship with neighbors I suppose. But even if you only want hens, don't assume they're quiet - we live on acreage and I can hear my hens from a few lots over. So that might be quite a few neighbors you need to bribe, depending on lot size.

If the ordinance states that fowl are prohibited. Then youre out of luck. It really doesn't matter how you want to twist it by calling them birds or pets. That won't change the ordinance or anyone enforcing its mind.
I can't agree with the idea of just because someone wants something then they should find a way to skirt the ordinances and do what they please.
Ive lived where ordinances were not what I liked but I did the mature thing and moved to an area where I didn't have those type of ordinances.
The world has become a selfish I want what I want when I want it place. Honestly is that what you want to support?
Would you want me as a neighbor doing whatever I wanted whenever I wanted with no regards or respect towards you as my neighbor?
The same goes to putting diapers on chickens and keeping them in your house. That is a really selfish thing. It would be a real unnatural life for a chicken. Would you want your chickens living a life so far from their nature of living just because you want them?
Don't get so wrapped up in wanting chickens to do it at their expense or your neighbors.

I agree with @The Moonshiner ..... Almost 100% !!!!

That being said, and I know this is hypocritical, but I have 9 pullets, 6 hens, and a cockerel, but according to the by-laws of my community, I'm not supposed to have any !!!!

I'm not condoning this practice, BUT under certain circumstances, (such as mine :D ) it could be an option to fly under the radar.

In my case, I live in a very rural lake community, with mostly weekend/vacation homes, situated around a good sized lake. There are about 20 permanent residents, including myself, who live here year round. The closest neighbor is nearly 3/4 mile from my property. There is over 6 square miles of land in this community, and I own 11 acres of ground, out on the very edge of the property.
Very secluded.

I've asked my neighbor if my cockerel bothers him, and he had NO idea I even had chickens. In fact, two of my best egg customers, who buy eggs weekly, are members of the board of directors !!!

They have never really asked me where I get the eggs, or, if I in fact have fowl/livestock, (as the by-laws call them) but it is a known fact by many around the lake that I indeed have a flock. I'm sure there would be people who would complain if they really knew, but with the size of my property, they would have to trespass to actually see any of my coops and such, and with my ground at the very end of a 3/4 mile private road (that is no trespassing as well) they would be hard pressed to come up with any "evidence" against me.

The people in "charge" just don't seem to care, as they realize it is a stupid rule, and plan to revise that part of the rules when a safe, covid free, vote can be taken. One board member has told me that on the small lots close to the lake, there will be a 4 hen, no rooster rule, but people with acreage ? will revert to state law.

Yippee !!!:wee

Anyway, unless you have extenuating circumstances, and live "in town", I would think twice about trying to hide fowl as it could lead to heartbreak when you have to get rid of them !!!

Just my 2 pennies.

thank you for the responses. I am excited to try and implement a “clandestine” chicken coop and the converted Kids playhouse is interesting. I do live on a corner and my neighbors have been living there for 20 plus years without problems. I would consider them great neighbors. I will keep everyone updated with Operation City Chicken as it progresses.

I agree with @The Moonshiner ..... Almost 100% !!!!

That being said, and I know this is hypocritical, but I have 9 pullets, 6 hens, and a cockerel, but according to the by-laws of my community, I'm not supposed to have any !!!!

I'm not condoning this practice, BUT under certain circumstances, (such as mine :D ) it could be an option to fly under the radar.
100% agreed! I think that some rules, are okay to be broken, if they are something that does no harm. I don't think having chickens is greedy, because as long as you keep everything friendly, and neat, it doesn't cause a problem. You make a fabulous point @svh!

I think it si okay to bend, or move around some rules as long as you don't cause a problem. If it causes a problem and is making a big deal, then that isn't cool, but, I don't see any harm in giving your neighbors fresh eggs, and giving a few chickens a good life.

I agree with @Weeg that you may find some ways around it. I personally consider them fowl and they are my pets because I will never cull them unless they were suffering and there was no way they would survive.
You will need to do your research. You obviously can't have a rooster but not all hens are quiet, they will tell the neighborhood that they have just done the impossible and laid an egg. Some chickens are quiet but it depends on their own personality.
Like this poster said chickens are very proud of their egg laying. And people will say "oh get this breed! It is so quiet!" Not all chickens like to conform to the "norm" for their breed. The loudest bird in my flock is my silkie. She sings her egg song the loudest, and she sings when her sisters lay an egg. She screams just to hear herself. Nothing is happening and she is just screaming away freaking us out. Lol she is a very happy, very loud bird. So be aware that if you get "quiet" birds you may still end up having to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom