Is Angel a boy?

JubileeFarmer

Songster
Apr 15, 2021
Mid Willamette Valley (Oregon)
I've been assuming that Angel is a boy because he had obvious wattle development at 8 weeks and a wide comb. I recently gave him to a friend who was wanting a bantam rooster but she is questioning whether he is actually a boy because he lacks obvious male tail feathers. He has very little tail development and his full sized hatch mates have long tails with sickle feathers. I got random eggs from a large mixed flock. All of the birds are different breed mixes and Angel is the only bantamX so I don't think that a comparison with his brothers is an accurate way to determine Angel's gender. Do you think Angel is a boy or a girl?
20210712-DSCN0948.jpg
20210813-DSCN0993.jpg
20210813-DSCN1020.jpg

I've been assuming that Angel is a boy because he had obvious wattle development at 8 weeks and a wide comb. I recently gave him to a friend who was wanting a bantam rooster but she is questioning whether he is actually a boy because he lacks obvious male tail feathers. He has very little tail development and his full sized hatch mates have long tails with sickle feathers. I got random eggs from a large mixed flock. All of the birds are different breed mixes and Angel is the only bantamX so I don't think that a comparison with his brothers is an accurate way to determine Angel's gender. Do you think Angel is a boy or a girl?View attachment 2805046View attachment 2805047View attachment 2805049
I am thinking Cockerel

I've been assuming that Angel is a boy because he had obvious wattle development at 8 weeks and a wide comb. I recently gave him to a friend who was wanting a bantam rooster but she is questioning whether he is actually a boy because he lacks obvious male tail feathers. He has very little tail development and his full sized hatch mates have long tails with sickle feathers. I got random eggs from a large mixed flock. All of the birds are different breed mixes and Angel is the only bantamX so I don't think that a comparison with his brothers is an accurate way to determine Angel's gender. Do you think Angel is a boy or a girl?View attachment 2805046View attachment 2805047View attachment 2805049
I was originally thinking male when I thought he was eight weeks of age. Correcting my post to be on the fence! At 12 weeks the comb is good size but still very pink. I also do not see any male saddle feathers. These are difficult to see though in a white bird.May have to wait it out a bit longer.😊

I am just guessing but I guess girl! The size and color of the comb and wattles doeant seem to have changed much in a week and i dont see(though tough because theyre white) see saddle feathers. My OEGB boys had them very early and comb and wattles were RED at 8 weeks and very obvious boys at 6 weeks.
Do you know the breed?

I am just guessing but I guess girl! The size and color of the comb and wattles doeant seem to have changed much in a week and i dont see(though tough because theyre white) see saddle feathers. My OEGB boys had them very early and comb and wattles were RED at 8 weeks and very obvious boys at 6 weeks.
Do you know the breed?
He came out of either a blue or green egg so mom was an Easter Egger. Not sure on dad but as far as I know the only bantam in the flock was a Bantam Cochin so I'm assuming it was him even though Angel doesn't have feathered legs. I know some Easter Eggers are small but I don't think that an Easter Egger crossed with a standard size rooster would produce a chick as small as Angel.

When I took the most recent photo at 12 weeks his male hatch mates (not biological brothers) were developing sickle feathers but didn't have visible saddle feathers. Angel's tail is very short so I thought that might be why he doesn't have sickle feathers.

He came out of either a blue or green egg so mom was an Easter Egger. Not sure on dad but as far as I know the only bantam in the flock was a Bantam Cochin so I'm assuming it was him even though Angel doesn't have feathered legs. I know some Easter Eggers are small but I don't think that an Easter Egger crossed with a standard size rooster would produce a chick as small as Angel.

When I took the most recent photo at 12 weeks his male hatch mates (not biological brothers) were developing sickle feathers but didn't have visible saddle feathers. Angel's tail is very short so I thought that might be why he doesn't have sickle feathers.
Wyandottes have rose combs, so I'm assuming hes a wyandotte cross

Back
Top Bottom