Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Can anyone answer YlwbrchHobbyFarms question about how long a large heating plate would fit for her 46 chicks? That is a question I asked about my 25 incoming chicks, and got no answer to that. It seems to me that the 50 chick size plate is adequate for 50 day-old chicks, but they would quickly outgrow it -long before they had feathers and could be without heat. But, I'm curious how fast the chicks (Barred Rocks and New Hampshires) will grow, so that I know how long I could expect the heating plate to suffice for 25 chicks.

I don't know that they are actually staying under mama much when they are getting their feathers in....I put 20 CX chicks under a WR hen and they only fit under her for a week and then they had to pile under, on top and beside her. I'd assume they will use this heat plate in much the same manner....by that time they are using one another for heat as much as they use the mama. I called this company to check and see if the top of the heat plate has any heat or warmth whatsoever and they said it did have some measure of warmth. Nice for chick toes.

Thanks to Beekissed and others who explained how a heat plate might be adequate as the chicks grow. I'll be looking forward to hearing about YBHobbyF's experience. 46 chicks in NE MN this time of year should put it to the test.

I made my mind up, I am ordering one too, I really think it will be a great thing and no worries about my heat lamp being on while im at work ,much safer in my opinion...

We got our chicks on Saturday. They are doing great with the Premier brooder. We lift the brooder up to check on them and some are so sound of sleep, we have to wake them up. We bought a 50 and have 18 chicks. 7 Black Australorps, 4 SLW, and Orpington's 1 buff, 3 Blue, and 3 Lavenders. I wanted to post some pictures, but I am having trouble with our home computer posting a reply on here. It brings up a blank page and I can not write anything? Anybody got any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks, Kevin

We got our chicks on Saturday. They are doing great with the Premier brooder. We lift the brooder up to check on them and some are so sound of sleep, we have to wake them up. We bought a 50 and have 18 chicks. 7 Black Australorps, 4 SLW, and Orpington's 1 buff, 3 Blue, and 3 Lavenders. I wanted to post some pictures, but I am having trouble with our home computer posting a reply on here. It brings up a blank page and I can not write anything? Anybody got any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks, Kevin
I think it depends what browser you are using. Some people have been having trouble with internet exploer and fire fox. I use google chrome. Hardly ever have problems with it and it runs much faster than others I have used. I was tired of exploer giving me problems so made the switch.

I use Firefox w/no problem 99% of the time. I hope you keep trying....I'd like to see your photos!
caf.gif

Thanks, Kevin
You posted this.

Pictures need to be inserted into the forum using the insert image tool It is on the tool bar and you see the tool bar when you quote or reply to a message on the thread. There is also a more or less button that will show more tools if you do not see the one you want.

Sometimes it helps to click the preview button at the bottom right of the edit window too.

I hope you can post a picture soon!

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I will try Chrome tonight. I have posted pictures before, that's what isn't making sense. Might have to put the pictures on my laptop.

I've decided to order a Premier after reading both threads. It seems the large 50 is out of stock until March, so I'll have to order the small 20. Do I order 1 and hope it's enough room or go ahead and get 2 and have plenty of room? Decisions, decisions....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom