Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Thank you for the detailed photos! I really appreciate that and it helps a lot.
thumbsup.gif

Now a question on the height adjustments. Are they "specific" height adjustments or can you adjust it to any level along the whole length of the legs?
It clicks into place, so you can't adjust it to ANY height... The only difficulty is matching all the legs exactly :)

Order 2! And something else so you can get over $100 and get free shipping...
wink.png

I decided to get 1 and sent in my order yesterday before cut off time. I only plan on 15-20 chicks with this years order. I want to get used to them and see how it goes before I get more. I'm hoping one of my hens will go broody and I'll be able to let her hatch them out for me next year. If not, I'll get more chicks and put them in the brooder.

Thank you for the detailed photos!  I really appreciate that and it helps a lot.  :thumbsup

Now a question on the height adjustments.  Are they "specific" height adjustments or can you adjust it to any level along the whole length of the legs?

Each leg adjusts independently. The ridges on the legs are the adjustments, so five groups of five ridges = 25 specific heights.

I bought that waterer for my friend that I bought the plate for....the top of the plate stays a little warm and I thought that would be perfect for cool weather brooding.  Figured the top of the plate would be a good place to put fermented feed for the chicks too.  Warm there. 

I got two waterers as well to set on top, which ideally will keep the water from cooling and chilling the chicks. I didn't think about the fermented feed. Awesome idea! Thanks!

You can match the legs exactly if you put the legs in on one of the smooth sections, release the lever, then pull the leg until it snaps into place. Do each leg the same and they will all be the same height.

Last edited:
Okay I've made my decision I'm going to order 1. I won't be hatching til May but am going to order it today in case of back order. I want to thank everyone who posted about the heat plate, your pictures and comments really helped.
thumbsup.gif

I really appreciate this thread! I will be getting chicks in May and hope to use a heat plate! Thanks to all who have posted and added pics! I will definitely be keeping tabs on updates so I can be ready! Thanks again!
caf.gif

The chicks finally came!
big_smile.png
They were supposed to be here Thurs. or Friday, so I'd all but given up by this morning. They arrived by late morning and enough were still alive for my order. 3 cuckoo marans (feathered legs!), 3 barred rocks, 2 leghorns, and 3 orpingtons.

They're in the brooder, but I also put a heat lamp up. Since they've already been so stressed, I don't want to take any chances. I will say the ones that are staying under the heat plate seem to love it. They keep peeking out.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. After I'm sure they're all eating, drinking, and thriving, I'll start to wean them off the light. I raised the front, by the way.

I got mine in the mail today. It was super easy to put together... plugged it in for a test drive. So far, I like it! Hope to get some chicks under it on Monday.

The chicks finally came!
big_smile.png
They were supposed to be here Thurs. or Friday, so I'd all but given up by this morning. They arrived by late morning and enough were still alive for my order. 3 cuckoo marans (feathered legs!), 3 barred rocks, 2 leghorns, and 3 orpingtons.

They're in the brooder, but I also put a heat lamp up. Since they've already been so stressed, I don't want to take any chances. I will say the ones that are staying under the heat plate seem to love it. They keep peeking out.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. After I'm sure they're all eating, drinking, and thriving, I'll start to wean them off the light. I raised the front, by the way.
So they have the plate, a light and some cool space too?

Would be interesting to have the same temp on the brooder floor under the light and the plate and see if they prefer one over the other.

I know, I know seems kind of silly, I have always loved to design what my daughter calls 'science experiments'. <shrugs>

Back
Top Bottom