Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I had a opossum get into my pen and kill my mama hen leaving her chick motherless. I had to bring the chick in and put her in the brooder with my other chicks. She is much larger then my other chicks and could not get under the heat plate even though I did raise it a bit. She opted for the top of it, which is warm. Now my other chicks have figured out how to get on top of the heat plate and they are all using it for a launching pad to try out their wings. They have all been taking their little cat naps on top more then under it today.

While they are making a poo mess on the top of it, it is easy to wipe off. I had thought about getting the cover for the heat plate to keep chicks off the top but now that I see how much use they are getting out of the top as well as under the heat plate, I am glad I didn't get the cover. They are super funny to watch and are having a blast.

Penny

A piece of saran wrap would make it a ton easier to clean. Peel and toss cleaning, my kind of cleaning. I use puppy pads for the brooder too
lol.png

A piece of saran wrap would make it a ton easier to clean. Peel and toss cleaning, my kind of cleaning. I use puppy pads for the brooder too
lol.png

I wasn't sure how the heat would affect the saran wrap. I use people pads now instead of puppy pads. Much bigger and more absorbent. I am using the extra extra large wire kennel for a brooder and the puppy pads just weren't big enough.

Penny

I wasn't sure how the heat would affect the saran wrap. I use people pads now instead of puppy pads. Much bigger and more absorbent. I am using the extra extra large wire kennel for a brooder and the puppy pads just weren't big enough.

Penny

The thicker saran wrap can be microwaved, so should be ok. The top really doesn't get hot, just warm-ish.

I still got pads from when I had pups, but I could see using people pads
lol.png

I ordered the premier heat plate yesterday and 2 waterers. I wasn't going to order the cover but shipping was $24 and the cover which was $26 put me over the $100 mark for free shipping so I figure it only cost me $2.
Good thinking
thumbsup.gif
. When I order mine, I will be at $95 so I might as well shop around and see if I can find something else that is at least $5.

I just placed my order with Premier. I ordered the large heating plate, the large cover, 100 leg bands of various colors, and 2 of the waterers ( I would of got one, but someone mentioned they were small and it looked tiny in the picture). All but a few of the things won't be available until March !st since they are currently out of stock. Still saved $2 though, since I spent over $100 and got free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom