Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I have the brinsea. Is there anyway to make this or the premiere work for quail?
The brinsea is too tall right now
Someone here talked about putting a platform, a piece of wood or something, under the heat plate so the chicks(bantams or seramas?) were closer to the heat.
You might have to build a ramp up to the platform depending on the chicks capacity to step up, I've never raised quail so I don't know how big of a step they can take.

Someone here talked about putting a platform, a piece of wood or something, under the heat plate so the chicks(bantams or seramas?) were closer to the heat.

That's what I do for Seramas. Actually, aart, you may be thinking of what I posted over on HT.
smile.png

Last edited:
I needed to set up some totes for small numbers of chicks indoors, and couldn't afford more plates at this time, so I came up with a solution that's working very well.

I got two small dog bed heating pads, under $20 each, and cut down cardboard boxes that fit them. I wrap the pads in paper towels and place the pads in the boxes as it shows in the picture. I have to change the paper towels a few times a week, but that's no biggie.

Last edited:
You might have to build a ramp up to the platform depending on the chicks capacity to step up, I've never raised quail so I don't know how big of a step they can take.

That's what I do for Seramas. Actually, aart, you may be thinking of what I posted over on HT. :)
those are great ideas. Thank you both for sharing :)

Just ordered my small brooder last night! Im planning on using it for christmas chicks. Ive read its a bit too warm for some peoples chicks, but fir others ive heard good things.

My garage is unheated so im keeping the chicks in my house which is in the upper 60s. Should the chicks be ok and not get too hot?

Just ordered my small brooder last night! Im planning on using it for christmas chicks. Ive read its a bit too warm for some peoples chicks, but fir others ive heard good things.

My garage is unheated so im keeping the chicks in my house which is in the upper 60s. Should the chicks be ok and not get too hot?

Yup, that should be perfect. Just make sure to have a plan in case the power goes out, for example heated water bottles. Good luck!

I needed to set up some totes for small numbers of chicks indoors, and couldn't afford more plates at this time, so I came up with a solution that's working very well.

I got two small dog bed heating pads, under $20 each, and cut down cardboard boxes that fit them. I wrap the pads in paper towels and place the pads in the boxes as it shows in the picture. I have to change the paper towels a few times a week, but that's no biggie.

That's funny. I've heard of this before but someone said that you must have enough weight (like a dog) on it to have it go on. Do you do yours different or is it a different kind?
pop.gif

I'm using a Sunbeam heating pad that has an "Auto-off" switch and it's working fantastically! Had a chick hatch under a broody but he got his feet wet and they got seriously frostbitten. Scout was living in the house until yesterday, and his "Mama" was that heating pad, wrapped with towels and formed into a tent. He loved it....it never got too hot, and I can adjust the settings. But he had to go back outside and after two weeks there was no way Mom was going to take him back. So we put his dog crate out there in front of a nest, formed wire into a frame, covered the heating pad and draped it over the frame. Then we packed straw under and around it. Now he's out in the coop with the big girls, he can get into his pen if someone gets rough, and he can duck under Mama Heating Pad for a quick warm up. When he was in the house his favorite roosting spot was right on top. It never got too hot. I got the idea from someone here on the forum - I think it was under DIY, Show us Your Inventions - and boy, does it work great! Also Beekissed has used it for her natural incubation project. I'll never brood chicks any other way. If they aren't hatched and staying under Mama Hen, then they'll be brooded out in the coop under Mama Heating Pad!

Scout roosting on top of Mama Heating Pad.

And all tucked in under it for the night.

The broody pen set up outside waiting for him.

He looks pretty comfortable for it being 20 degrees out there!

Edited to add: You can follow Scout's remarkable journey by clicking on his link in my signature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom