Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

I have two of these units, and have used them about ten times since purchased a few years ago. Never any problem, and chicks love them! Use press n seal (by glad clingwrap) to cover them as once the chicks start hopping on top of it, they get messy. That way when you clean, you just rip off the preee n seal covering and put on a new one!

I have two of these units, and have used them about ten times since purchased a few years ago. Never any problem, and chicks love them! Use press n seal (by glad clingwrap) to cover them as once the chicks start hopping on top of it, they get messy. That way when you clean, you just rip off the preee n seal covering and put on a new one!
Great idea!!! Thank you!

Lots of great info in this thread; thanks everyone! My order of, ahem, 18 chicks has already morphed into 24.... due the week of 4/22. So I have lots of time and am planning and overthinking things. I've ordered large and XL fowl, including spitzhaubens, Easter eggers, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Jersey giants, and Brahmas. Now I'm waffling between the 16" x 16" and the 16" x 24" heating plates. I don't expect to raise tons of chicks, and presumably we should be seeing spring weather by then (I hope!), but I don't know how fast they'll get too big for the 16x16. Are they likely to be roosting on top of it or elsewhere by then, or will they need the 16x24 to keep them all comfortable? I will try to remember to take lots of progress pics once they're here to help answer this question for those who follow me!

Lots of great info in this thread; thanks everyone! My order of, ahem, 18 chicks has already morphed into 24.... due the week of 4/22. So I have lots of time and am planning and overthinking things. I've ordered large and XL fowl, including spitzhaubens, Easter eggers, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Jersey giants, and Brahmas. Now I'm waffling between the 16" x 16" and the 16" x 24" heating plates. I don't expect to raise tons of chicks, and presumably we should be seeing spring weather by then (I hope!), but I don't know how fast they'll get too big for the 16x16. Are they likely to be roosting on top of it or elsewhere by then, or will they need the 16x24 to keep them all comfortable? I will try to remember to take lots of progress pics once they're here to help answer this question for those who follow me!
I got the 16 x 24 and it seems huge. I have 27 eggs (on day 15) and was worried that the smaller units would not be large enough. This one will not fit in the brooder box so I decided to save it for the 2nd brooder box that I will set up in the garage when they get too big (and/or messy) to be in the indoor brooder box. It seems like it will be the perfect size for when they are a little larger. I’m guessing 2 weeks??? This is my first time so we will see. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Ah, thanks....yeah, it's not available in the US for some strange reason(maybe voltage diffs?)....many discussions here about that.
Very frustrating as it really needs it, the plate can be way too hot

So, how hot is too hot? I am getting read to set up my new premier1 for the first time (chicks due to hatch Monday) and find all these posts about needing a regulator (I have one) and lowering the temperature - but what temperature am I shooting for then? I would think something that feels hot but not so hot that I have to pull my hand away? Or is a little hotter better, because they won’t be pressing against it when they are lying down to sleep?
I am planning to tilt the plate so it’s on its lowest setting on one side and at the height of their backs (I assume when standing?) on the other. Or? I am a bit stumped and would like specifics from someone....

So, how hot is too hot? I am getting read to set up my new premier1 for the first time (chicks due to hatch Monday) and find all these posts about needing a regulator (I have one) and lowering the temperature - but what temperature am I shooting for then? I would think something that feels hot but not so hot that I have to pull my hand away? Or is a little hotter better, because they won’t be pressing against it when they are lying down to sleep?
I am planning to tilt the plate so it’s on its lowest setting on one side and at the height of their backs (I assume when standing?) on the other. Or? I am a bit stumped and would like specifics from someone....
My post(2 years old) that you quoted was regarding a plate different than Premiere's.
I tried to follow the discussion back but the video showing the plate that was being discussed is gone.

As far as 'how hot is too hot', it's hard to say.
I suggest you use an infrared temp gauge to check the surface temp of the plate.
I have never used a Premiere plate so don't know the 'hand' limit...and everyone has different tolerance.
Hopefully someone with direct experience using the same plate as you will chime in.
At least you have the rheostat, you'll have to do some experimenting, observation, and adjusting. Best of Luck with your hatch!

I don't have a regulator for my Premier. It is hot to the touch (to me), but the chicks seem to like it. When they need the heat, they will press up against to warm up. Other times, they just lay down under it and still get warmth.

My current chicks are 2 1/2 wks old now. You will see some pressing against it, and others laying under it.

I would set the height so that the front is level to the chicks back, and the back is a couple of notches lower. I don't think I would put the plate on it's lowest setting. That may be a bit low. I've never had mine on the lowest setting. If you have bantams, you may need to lower it for them.

These are my blue Orps from a couple of years ago. They are all passed out under the Premier but not touching it. It was early spring, but don't remember the temp.

IMG_2177.JPG

Here are my babies now. They love to sit on top. Yes, they do make a mess on top, but it's easy to clean. I'll rake it off with a plastic paint scraper and when I'm finished using it, it cleans up easy.

IMG_6338.JPG

It's 45* this morning with wind chill of 38*. I'm sure I will find all of them under the Premier when I go check on them. I brood mine outside in the barn.

eta: Our temps here are all over the place. In the past 2 weeks, they have been 30* up to 90*. On the "hot" days, above 75*, I usually turn off the Premier. If I had the regulator that you can buy for it, I would just turn it down to low. That is the one thing that I love about the MHP (momma heating pad). The temp is adjustable which is great for our weather. When I get chicks again, I will probably get the regulator that Premier now offers for their heat plate.

eta2: Temp in the barn is actually 42*. The chicks were running all over the brooder eating/drinking then jumping on top of the Premier.

Last edited:
I began brooding what I told dh was 13 babies but was really 21 (lol!) with an Ecoglow20. About half of my babies are bantams. They managed to fit under it for the first several days, but I knew they would require something bigger. I ordered the Premier xl 16 x 24. I have one end pretty low for the tiny ones and the other about an inch or so higher. Interestingly, they all pretty much stay on the lower side, which is surprising because this thing gets pretty hot compared to the Ecoglow. Infrared says 148.3° F!

I had read it was pretty hot before ordering and called Premier to ask whether the temp. regulator was needed. They told me it was absolutely NOT needed if you pay close attention to your chicks and that the adjustable legs are meant to regulate the temp. I did not get the regulator, and my chicks are doing great. I do see the whole crew gradually moving toward the higher end. They leave about 1" of space at the low end now. When they almost get to the high end, I'll raise it a bit. I do love the adjustability if this plate, and its great having the larger size so the babies can choose their height.

They are all over the top of it, and I wish I had ordered the cover because the texture of the upper surface really causes the poop to stick. I think I'm going to order it.

Back
Top Bottom