Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

That could work.
Works great!
Just toss it when done.

brooder-heater-in-da-coop-6-1-17-3-jpg.1028461

Ok, sounds good then - thanks!!!
I’ll just set it up like henless does and hope for the best. I have a large plate and only 4 chicks coming, so they definitely should be able to find just the right spot under there.
Chicks hatching today - I am so excited!

So, how hot is too hot? I am getting read to set up my new premier1 for the first time (chicks due to hatch Monday) and find all these posts about needing a regulator (I have one) and lowering the temperature - but what temperature am I shooting for then? I would think something that feels hot but not so hot that I have to pull my hand away? Or is a little hotter better, because they won’t be pressing against it when they are lying down to sleep?
I am planning to tilt the plate so it’s on its lowest setting on one side and at the height of their backs (I assume when standing?) on the other. Or? I am a bit stumped and would like specifics from someone....
I opted to buy the regulator direct from Premier1 when the brooder plate arrived and it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Everything I read said chicks would be fine with the temps (many don't use the regulator), but for my own piece of mind I went ahead and purchased it. Chicks are 2 weeks old today and have done great with the plate - I definitely recommend the Premier1 or similar, just because of the leg set up and the options for adjustments. I've adjusted the plate to be level with their backs as they grow (mixed flock with similar size ranges) - our chicks are using the plate minimally during the day and brooding under it at night quiet and happy!

I opted to buy the regulator direct from Premier1 when the brooder plate arrived and it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Everything I read said chicks would be fine with the temps (many don't use the regulator), but for my own piece of mind I went ahead and purchased it. Chicks are 2 weeks old today and have done great with the plate - I definitely recommend the Premier1 or similar, just because of the leg set up and the options for adjustments. I've adjusted the plate to be level with their backs as they grow (mixed flock with similar size ranges) - our chicks are using the plate minimally during the day and brooding under it at night quiet and happy!
Thank you!
I do have the regulator. What temperature did you adjust it to? Just hot enough to not hurt? or...?
I turned my heat plate on and will check tomorrow how hot it gets.

Thank you!
I do have the regulator. What temperature did you adjust it to? Just hot enough to not hurt? or...?

I have two 12x12 brooder plates. One came with the regulator, one did not. I am not currently using the regulator, because my understanding is that it doesn't change the temp, only turns the plate on and off at varying intervals. I figured it is better to have them on all the time and allow the chicks to self-regulate.

I've set them up at slightly different heights, since my chicks aren't all the same size. All chicks use both plates. Sometimes they stand with their head out and their backs up against the bottom of the plate. They do not seem bothered by the temperature in the least when they do this. At night, they cuddle up loosely under the lower plate and lie down in a group in the middle to sleep. The fact that I am seeing both of these behaviors from all chicks suggests that the plates are working as intended. The chicks position themselves as needed to get the amount of heat they require.

Note: I am brand new to this, so take my observations for what they are worth. All 12 of my chicks seem happy, healthy and active, but I've only had them for a few days. Hope this helps.

Thank you!
I set it between 5 and 6 originally, but once I began to raise the plate and the chicks started feathering out a little I have had it set at 5 and it's been just right for us.

I have two 12x12 brooder plates. One came with the regulator, one did not. I am not currently using the regulator, because my understanding is that it doesn't change the temp, only turns the plate on and off at varying intervals. I figured it is better to have them on all the time and allow the chicks to self-regulate.

I've set them up at slightly different heights, since my chicks aren't all the same size. All chicks use both plates. Sometimes they stand with their head out and their backs up against the bottom of the plate. They do not seem bothered by the temperature in the least when they do this. At night, they cuddle up loosely under the lower plate and lie down in a group in the middle to sleep. The fact that I am seeing both of these behaviors from all chicks suggests that the plates are working as intended. The chicks position themselves as needed to get the amount of heat they require.

Note: I am brand new to this, so take my observations for what they are worth. All 12 of my chicks seem happy, healthy and active, but I've only had them for a few days. Hope this helps.
I'm not sure if you tried your regulator, but the one I have from Premier1 keeps the heat on continually, but lowers the temp of the plate. Sounds like your chicks are happy so this won't matter now, but maybe it will help in the future!

I'm not sure if you tried your regulator, but the one I have from Premier1 keeps the heat on continually, but lowers the temp of the plate. Sounds like your chicks are happy so this won't matter now, but maybe it will help in the future!

No, I did not try it as most sources indicated it wasn't necessary and, so far, my chicks seem to agree. However, if it does actually reduce the temp, that would probably help when it comes time to wean them off the supplemental heat. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom