Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I got a Premeir 50 and as the chicks got older they often preferred to sleep on top of the heat plate. It also gave more room for them , some slept under, some on top. I just washed the top off once a day - it was not a big deal. Others use a peel off clear wrap. I also put a vertical nipple water bottle on top of the heat plate (it hangs over the edge, got it from Premier) and they really liked that, though I did have to remove and replace wood shavings under the vertical nipple daily - just a handful to keep things very dry. I had 25 chicks with the 50 Premier and I wouldn't have wanted more chicks using it in cold spring months. They are fairly big before they are fully feathered.

But, it worked like a charm. I kept one end a bit higher than the other - raising the whole thing up as they grew. The chicks were very well behaved in the dark, but had problems when I needed to put some of them under a heat lamp when they got older (long story)- they did not sleep at all well with the light (even a red one) since they were used to total darkness.

So the general consensus is that the premier is safe and reliable? Love not needing a light and sounds like the chicks like plates better anyways, just worried that the low cost might mean low quality? Also is the cover worth it?
welcome-byc.gif
All of us are looking for a real savings and I believe this will be it. I will be buying for this winter. I'm just not comfortable with a heat lamp and besides the electricity goes it a lot with them.

So the general consensus is that the premier is safe and reliable? Love not needing a light and sounds like the chicks like plates better anyways, just worried that the low cost might mean low quality? Also is the cover worth it?
I love my Premier I bought the 50 with the cover and 2 nipple waters. When still in the brooder I did not use the cover and just put Cling Wrap on top and set the water nipples on top also everyday I would just peel up the Cling Wrap and wash the top but once they were a little older and able to go in the grow out pen there was a lot more room so I put the cover on so I wouldn't have to clean it everyday.

Well....somehow I ended up with more chicks!
roll.png
Out came the heat plate again and things have been fine. I decided to raise it a bit today and noticed the thing was HOT. I've seen people mention that before and thought they might just have sensitive skin. lol Mine was never hot....until now. Wow! Then it struck me that I saw them laying around the outside of the thing last night - no wonder!

What do I do? How can that be fixed? I do have a dimmer switch I can plug it into. Although, that seems like a defect to me.

Thoughts?

Well....somehow I ended up with more chicks!
roll.png
Out came the heat plate again and things have been fine. I decided to raise it a bit today and noticed the thing was HOT. I've seen people mention that before and thought they might just have sensitive skin. lol Mine was never hot....until now. Wow! Then it struck me that I saw them laying around the outside of the thing last night - no wonder!

What do I do? How can that be fixed? I do have a dimmer switch I can plug it into. Although, that seems like a defect to me.

Thoughts?

I used a dimmer switch with mine. The manufacturer actually sells a thermostatic control which is basically a dimmer switch but Premier 1 doesn't carry it.

PS: I actually called Premier to ask about what I thought was excessive heat. They really didn't have a whole lot to say except that different people perceive temperature differently. My thought was that if I could control it with the dimmer that I was okay with that. Besides knowing that the manufacturer sells a temp control dimmer made me think that they anticipate this and that they expect folks to have to adjust temperatures. I "think" that's probably good logic...

Back
Top Bottom