Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Leah's Mom and Bluewater.....you both have good points. When I noticed that "hot" feel I raised the plate. When I checked it again yesterday it didn't feel as horribly hot....which lead me to believe that it might overheat at times. Although, using it in an 75-80 area with no airflow underneath is something to consider, too.

When I used mine it was still cold outside. Very hot to the touch..hot enough that I thought it might burn tender skin on little chicks since they're supposed to push up against it to keep warm. But the lamp dimmer worked well.

This is my first night with chicks, but I am using the Premier heat plate. I just went out to check on them and noticed them all huddled into a corner instead of under the heat plate. I touched it and it felt very hot. I couldn't keep my hand on it. There was one chick laying under it that didn't move and I was worried she got cooked, but she seems ok after some prodding. I raised it up some, but I am very worried about the fact it is so hot. When I plugged it in yesterday to test it out, it felt pretty warm, but I could keep my hand on it for several seconds. I don't know what to do for the rest of the night. I tested the temperature of the plate with a meat thermometer and it was about 140 degrees. I don't really want to leave them with something that could burn them, but I also can't really just leave them with nothing since they are only a day old. I'm definitely calling Premier tomorrow.

This is my first night with chicks, but I am using the Premier heat plate.  I just went out to check on them and noticed them all huddled into a corner instead of under the heat plate.  I touched it and it felt very hot.  I couldn't keep my hand on it.  There was one chick laying under it that didn't move and I was worried she got cooked, but she seems ok after some prodding.  I raised it up some, but I am very worried about the fact it is so hot.  When I plugged it in yesterday to test it out, it felt pretty warm, but I could keep my hand on it for several seconds.  I don't know what to do for the rest of the night.  I tested the temperature of the plate with a meat thermometer and it was about 140 degrees.  I don't really want to leave them with something that could burn them, but I also can't really just leave them with nothing since they are only a day old.  I'm definitely calling Premier tomorrow.

What's the temperature in the room they're in? Is it possible it's warm enough in the room they don't need the plate right now? Raising it up should help.

The brooder is out on my front porch. It's about 80 out there right now. I did raise it up and a few more of them went under there, but most of them are just huddled in the corner.

I'd say they're prob. comfortable in that temperature.

As far as the temp of the heat plate, I felt that mine was too hot also. I used a lamp dimmer switch to dial back the heat. The manufacturer of the plates sells a thermostatic switch like a lamp dimmer so I'm assuming that they expect that it may need to be dialed back.

Got the dimmer switch at Menards. Similar to this one:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2237970-c-6321.htm

TTCL-100LH-WH.jpg

I'd say they're prob. comfortable in that temperature. As far as the temp of the heat plate, I felt that mine was too hot also. I used a lamp dimmer switch to dial back the heat. The manufacturer of the plates sells a thermostatic switch like a lamp dimmer so I'm assuming that they expect that it may need to be dialed back. Got the dimmer switch at Menards. Similar to this one: http://www.menards.com/main/p-2237970-c-6321.htm
TTCL-100LH-WH.jpg
X2 :)

My local hardware store only had the kind of dimmer you have to wire in, so I had to order it off Amazon and I'll have it tomorrow. Since I have raised it, they do seem to be going under it a lot more. It still feels really hot.

I did lose one chick this morning.
sad.png
He was barely hanging on when I went to check them this morning and only lasted another 30 minutes or so. I don't think it had anything to do with the heat plate, though. One of them seemed kind of slow compared to the others yesterday when I first put them in there. It was probably him.

Back
Top Bottom