Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
HI Lady Cat!
Thanks for the data on the heat plates! I don't know how you did it. The rascally search engine they use is a cardboard copy of an ignoramus. Grandmother, Mother and wife Sue (all deceased) were all correct when each at various times informed this insignificant male, almost verbatim, "The ladies in your life will keep you straight!" I think so or at least they give it their best shots…
Thanks again,
Neal

I've been reading this (whole!) thread, thinking, and doing some research. I can get seedling starting mats and a thermostat that will control several of them at a time for quite a bit less than one of the heat plates. If I also get seedling trays with the high domes on them, I can start seedlings, too, LOL! With the thermostat, the information on the mats says they can be held at 108 degrees or lower (I think down into the seventies), so they should work just fine for chicks. I'm thinking stiff wire to support the mats so the chicks can get underneath (like rabbit wire -- I've got some scraps around from making rabbit cages). The big advantage that I can see using the seedling mats is that they are plastic and should be easier to wash off than a human heating pad.

I normally start new chicks in the house for a week or so, in plastic tubs, then move them out to wire cages in the pump house, which isn't really heated except just enough to keep the water lines from freezing up. As soon as they are feathered, they go out to wire chicken tractors (basically just rabbit cages on the ground with the bottoms removed -- I keep a piece of plywood on top of each cage for shade and protection from rain or snow, and while they are still young, lean some plywood scraps up around the ends of the cages for windbreaks. They aren't beautiful, but they use stuff I had on hand, and they work!) I haven't had any trouble doing it this way. The heat pads will be a big improvement over heat lamps, for reasons that have been mentioned numerous times on this thread. I'm hoping eventually to have enough hens that will reliably go broody and raise chicks to not need artificial heat for brooding, so getting something dual-purpose like the seedling mats seems like a really good idea.

Kathleen

Last edited:
Funny you should mention starting seeds...I used my heating pads I had used on the chicks to start my seedlings for last spring's garden. To keep my heating pads clean, I just place them inside a small trash bag and tape it closed. They are also washable, so getting dirty isn't a big problem.

I've been reading this (whole!) thread, thinking, and doing some research. I can get seedling starting mats and a thermostat that will control several of them at a time for quite a bit less than one of the heat plates. If I also get seedling trays with the high domes on them, I can start seedlings, too, LOL! With the thermostat, the information on the mats says they can be held at 108 degrees or lower (I think down into the seventies), so they should work just fine for chicks. I'm thinking stiff wire to support the mats so the chicks can get underneath (like rabbit wire -- I've got some scraps around from making rabbit cages). The big advantage that I can see using the seedling mats is that they are plastic and should be easier to wash off than a human heating pad.

Kathleen
Ditto! Gonna use seedling heat mats for chick warmers this year too....might also put them in the coop nests under the bedding to keep eggs from freezing for hatching in Feb.

You guys should start a new thread and link it in here on these cool homemade chick brooders you've made. I'm sure people are looking for ideas like yours that work and they may not find it in this thread. They're great ideas!

You guys should start a new thread and link it in here on these cool homemade chick brooders you've made. I'm sure people are looking for ideas like yours that work and they may not find it in this thread. They're great ideas!

From back in March 2014
Quote:

How did I miss that?! I can't wait to read through that thread. Thanks! I just ordered a 2nd Premier heat plate, but could really use about 2 more. I can't justify spending all that $. ;)

Last edited:
What do you think would be the best breed of chickens for central Minnesota when it get as cold as negative 40-50
Thanks,
Connor

Back
Top Bottom