Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Based in Denmark - it was an optional extra purchase (in USD something like 15 or 20 if I remember correctly). Quite nice as it is really easy to adjust the heat. For the first couple of weeks I don't use it as raising the plate will do the same basically but then you can start reducing heat while keeping the plate at its max height.

cheers
Ah, thanks....yeah, it's not available in the US for some strange reason(maybe voltage diffs?)....many discussions here about that.
Very frustrating as it really needs it, the plate can be way too hot without the rheostat.

Ah, thanks....yeah, it's not available in the US for some strange reason(maybe voltage diffs?)....many discussions here about that.
Very frustrating as it really needs it, the plate can be way too hot without the rheostat.
I was able to buy a dimmer cable at the hardware store (Lowe's) and it worked great with the plate. Definitely brought the temperature down to a safer level.

A dimmer extension cord @Magnolia7330
?
Yes, I've heard those work fine.
It's still just weird that the company doesn't offer them here as part of the plate purchase.

From my POV, if it's required to use the product as advertised, it should be included. The manufacturer's recommendation that buyers find a way to fix their product so it's safe is absurd.

Last edited:
You can get the Premier on Amazon Prime with free shipping. I just ordered it. After reading the bad reviews of the Brinsea, this one looks much easier to adjust.

I have week old chicks that have been using a lamp. I put the Premier in today and they seem to prefer the lamp, likely because of familiarity.

What's the best way to transition them? Just turn off the lamp and help them find it?

I have week old chicks that have been using a lamp. I put the Premier in today and they seem to prefer the lamp, likely because of familiarity.

What's the best way to transition them? Just turn off the lamp and help them find it?
I'd say that should work. As long as they know its a source of warmth, they should find it again.

I use it from day 1 and they seem to love it! I have posted a video from under the heating plate - you can watch it here: http://www.chicktalks.com/2017/05/01/life-under-the-heating-plate/

There are 8 chicks that have all hatched within 12-36 hours. Look how they push their backs up against the plate - at night they either move to the back and lay down (where the plate is closer to the ground = warmer) or they stand up sleeping, touching the plate.

rgds Michael
I also create a gradient in heat by making the front legs slightly higher than the back - it gives chicks an option of heat levels. It's feasible that it serves no purpose whatever, but it doesn't stop me messing around with it. :D

Back
Top Bottom