Is it cruel to have chickens if they can't free range?

I find it very strange some folks say my hens are happy in the run and don't want out. You have to be kidding. I say they have adapted to being confined. I don't see that they exibit happiness. That's the same as saying battery hens are very happy in their cage. They don't know the difference being they haven't lived the other. What was that that was said a little bit back, they don't know what the haven't had. I suppose that's true. As for me I get sick when I see the pictures some post of their runs with the chickens pecking in their feces. If that is loving your birds and them living healthy lives, then I can say honestly we don't see eye to eye on that issue. I was taught cleanliness is next to Godliness and I believe. I read one post where the poster said, 'I hate cleaning up after my chickens'. Then my thought is why have the little two legged creatures. If you hate don't have um. Belive it or not I hated cleaning my sons diapers. But as a daddy I assumed that repsonsiblilty when I decided to have both of them. I don't see the big difference.

Oh well, I am weird. I know that.

Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

I have had chickens in confinement and free range and mine are happier with as much open space as possible. I think the biggest issue that I see is people trying to cram in too many birds in too small a space. When in doubt, go with less birds. I had 8 birds in a 10x10 run that were allowed to free range when I was home to watch them. That being said, I also would pile up 3 feet of leaves from the woods behind the house in the run once a month for them to dig in and scratch through and they would be happy campers. I also periodically brought in branches and fallen trees for them to climb on inside the run so that it was never the same configuration for too long. It kept them from getting bored and they seemed to love exploring the same old run every time I changed it up. They also had treats, scraps, a pan full of sand to dust bathe, and lots of fresh water and bedding at all times.

When I got the itch to have more birds I knew I either had to make a bigger space available or get rid of some of the older birds. We were lucky enough to be able to move to a piece of our family's farm and now we have a run that is 80ftx110ft and they are happy campers. Part of it is wooded and they love having the leaves and underbrush to scratch around in. I also have 4 ducks in there with them but in a separate house and everyone is happy. 4 ducks is my limit...I have more when they have babies every year but I always try to get back down to my original 4. Yes, my run is still full of grass. The most I have had in there is 12 chickens but now I am down to 5 hens (until spring when I plan on adding 5 more) and the 4 indian runners. I do clip wings to keep them from flying over the fence but they are happy and so am I.

You can tell when an animal is happy and content....you can see it in their eyes and their body language. I have 37 cornish x's in a tractor now but I know they are happy cause they get moved to fresh grass every day, they peck around and scratch like "normal" chickens, and they genuinely seem content with the fresh air and space they have. I know the limits of my space and I don't exceed it.

I am all for having chickens for eggs if you can provide them with adequate space for the number of birds you intend to keep, clean living conditions, safe shelter, and a constant supply of food and fresh water. If you give them all of that then go for it, just don't cram a bunch of birds in a tight space and leave them and expect them to thrive because it won't happen.

For me the simple answer is that I would not have chickens if I couldn't let them free range. I see many people here that have nice areas for their birds. I just could not keep them confined all day, every day. For many of the reasons others have already said.

Quote:
x2. Couldn't have put it better. WE can't free range here, because of a plethora of hawks. So extra work in making our run big and fun! You can tell if they're happy. If you can't keep them happy, don't keep them at all.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
X2

I use electronetting, so mine have a lot of space. I worried about hawks though, so my boyfriend made some benches out of 2 x 4's that we covered with pine boughs for them to hide under. They LOVE them. They are nearly always under them or on them. Some sections of the enclosure have a lot of brush and weeds and they like to hang out there too. It's clear they feel happier when they have some cover--they came from ground-dwelling jungle birds after all. So, with that said, think in 3 dimensions and give them some different levels and things to hide under.

Sometimes ours whine to get out, sometimes they whine to get in.

RoodBoy062110.jpg

Gate was open, by the way (just don't work `em hard enough...).

Quote:
Same here....I see no reason to have them if I cannot provide the optimal environment for them. If I cannot free range, then a good-sized tractor or electric poultry netting that is moved often would be the only alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom