Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

My guinea fowl are boss of the chickens and not the rooster they are my warning birds and look nice
Yes, I can imagine them being boss!
lol.png

i have a canadian goose question......we have a lot of wild candian geese here in belgium and a huge flock lives in the fields behind my house, we see them every year and they are really breeding well. anyhow last year i was given a canadian goose (born in captivity/domesticated) and never knew if it was male or female. it always lived with my male muscovy and they were inseperable. until late spring this year. the wild flock of candian geese flew over and landed in the field across from ours. they were calling and my goose was calling back. they were doing this for hours before the flock flew away...well all but one. this lone goose flew over into my field and went over to my canadian goose....and hasnt left! its stayed side by side with my goose and it seems theyve made a couple :) my goose cant fly so no fear of it flying away. my question is how can i tell if they are males/females or one of each?

my goose is the one at the front of the pics, the wild one is at the back

Last edited:
Its hard to find the sex in canadian geese coz they look sound and act the same but you can see it by their size males are larger and you can see it in their faces :)

Spish, that is precious!!
love.gif
I would say from the story that your goose is a female and the wild one that stayed is a gander. Generally speaking, males are bigger with longer necks and backs than females. You'll know for sure by next breeding season.

We get a lot of Canada geese in my area and a few decide to stick around my place from time to time. Here is a picture of a breeding pair that set up their nest this past spring on my property. The female is in front.

Spish, that is precious!!
love.gif
I would say from the story that your goose is a female and the wild one that stayed is a gander. Generally speaking, males are bigger with longer necks and backs than females. You'll know for sure by next breeding season.

We get a lot of Canada geese in my area and a few decide to stick around my place from time to time. Here is a picture of a breeding pair that set up their nest this past spring on my property. The female is in front.
OI was wondering about your Canada geese if they stayed, did they hatch any goslings?

Sadly, no. The female sat on her nest for almost a month.... then one day we saw her hanging out with her mate by the pond with no babies. They rested up by the pond for about a week, then left. I will be curious to see if they return next spring and try again.

With me i feel shameful for my geese if they sit on a nest for a long time and no babies will come no matter what ! Espically if i have to force them off the nest

Sadly, no. The female sat on her nest for almost a month.... then one day we saw her hanging out with her mate by the pond with no babies. They rested up by the pond for about a week, then left. I will be curious to see if they return next spring and try again.
That's too bad, hopefully next year.

I am in England and rescued a Canada goose that had fishing line embedded round it's leg. She could not walk and so could not move to forage. I and the vet removed the wire and dressed her leg. The RSPCA said that because she is not native to England they would put her to sleep and if I release her I would get a 5 thousand pound fine or 6 months in prison !!! I am allowed to keep her though so she is living quite happily with my Muscovies

Back
Top Bottom