Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

I am in England and rescued a Canada goose that had fishing line embedded round it's leg. She could not walk and so could not move to forage. I and the vet removed the wire and dressed her leg. The RSPCA said that because she is not native to England they would put her to sleep and if I release her I would get a 5 thousand pound fine or 6 months in prison !!! I am allowed to keep her though so she is living quite happily with my Muscovies
That is so sweet.

I am in England and rescued a Canada goose that had fishing line embedded round it's leg. She could not walk and so could not move to forage. I and the vet removed the wire and dressed her leg. The RSPCA said that because she is not native to England they would put her to sleep and if I release her I would get a 5 thousand pound fine or 6 months in prison !!! I am allowed to keep her though so she is living quite happily with my Muscovies
Nice. Amazing how different the countries are with their regulations....the goose gets put down in one country, and the other country you have to keep it or else....! Good you didn´t go to prison for helping a bird. Better that you have company for her, too. How is she doing now?

She is doing really well now, she was quite lame for a few weeks but seems to be walking normally now.

I have a Canadian Goose that has lived on our farm for 20+ years now. he can fly but chooses to stay with my tame geese. His mate was killed by a fox and he stayed behind when his group left. He now has a mate in my tame geese and the produce little ones just about every year that are half Toulouse and Canadian.

I have a Canadian Goose that has lived on our farm for 20+ years now. he can fly but chooses to stay with my tame geese. His mate was killed by a fox and he stayed behind when his group left. He now has a mate in my tame geese and the produce little ones just about every year that are half Toulouse and Canadian.
Beautiful geese, and he decided to stay on his own you never forced him to stay him in anyway? I see no problem with this some will though. Thanks for sharing his story.
welcome-byc.gif

Those crosses are very pretty.

Beautiful geese, and he decided to stay on his own you never forced him to stay him in anyway? I see no problem with this some will though. Thanks for sharing his story.
welcome-byc.gif
I imagine that´s how the first domestic breeds were developed...the odd greylag or two that hung around and didn´t fly off with the others...mixed with a few goslings pinched from nests.....voila!! Goose breeds popping up all over the place!
Swarner, just out of curiosity, as I don´t know......do the crosses breed fertile? Or are they sterile?

We're not sure all the groups before have left this last group is the only ones to stay and last year when they decided to start laying a fox came in and raided all of the nest. Needless to say fox is gone, so we hope to find out this spring.

Back
Top Bottom