Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?

Huh. Interesting. When I first started reading a few years ago, I was amazed at how nice this community was, particularly compared to other bbs I was a part of. The one thing I have noticed in general is the nastiness of people overall. I wonder if this has anything to do with the US heading into an election.........
lol.png

One thing I have noticed, honestly, is that the caliber of genuine questions seems to have tanked. Overall, it seems people don't want to search for the basics, but that's a reflection of society in general, imo- no one wants to research; everyone wants answers "right now," even, if on that same bb the same question has been asked numerous times. Seems to me people are tired of answering the same questions over and over, when two threads have exactly the same question by different posters. Not saying people shouldn't ask questions, of course, but it just seems prudent to search for the issue before posting.......

I think the bigger BYC gets, the more accurate a reflection of society at-large we're going to see.................. and ya, it's disappointing to see people tearing others down so quickly. one thread I saw left me scratching my head, because people jumped all over one poster for the response, but I didn't see anything wrong with what had been written; I wasn't on the other threads to see the responses being shared, so I didn't have enough "background," it seems, to know why they were ticked at the poster.

I've been on no less than 5 threads and tried to offer help when a new person with from 1 to 12 posts, asks a question and was treated so badly. I've gone back to them just to see if they got my answer and they hadn't ever posted again. People either don't remember they were new and asking questions once, or they are just rude. My mom would have smacked me if I talked to anyone the way some people here had been doing.

I've been on no less than 5 threads and tried to offer help when a new person with from 1 to 12 posts, asks a question and was treated so badly. I've gone back to them just to see if they got my answer and they hadn't ever posted again. People either don't remember they were new and asking questions once, or they are just rude. My mom would have smacked me if I talked to anyone the way some people here had been doing.

sad.png

Just last week, someone locally was trying to get rid of a hen and I asked why- plucking. I suggested peepers, even met him in town to give him some of mine (he gave me $2 for 15 so he wouldn't have to wait a week to order). I sent him the link to my blog, where I had written about out peeper experience; told him in person it took 2 of us, although I read here that someone was able to put them on by herself.

His response the next day? "It was a major chore to put this on by myself. The bird also passed out from the way I had to her head. I really didn't want to do this to all of them. Putting her back into generally population worked for me. All I'm saying, you may want to suggest other methods to others."

Yep. I have been duly warned. He didn't like this site, either, because no one "is ever" here to help. I probably won't be as willing to help someone in person because of this.

People in general lack manners; that's my two cents. And I think it's getting worse and not better. It's a given that written word is tougher because you can't see body language and get a good feel for tone, but I guess I figure those are what smilies are for.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
sad.png

Just last week, someone locally was trying to get rid of a hen and I asked why- plucking. I suggested peepers, even met him in town to give him some of mine (he gave me $2 for 15 so he wouldn't have to wait a week to order). I sent him the link to my blog, where I had written about out peeper experience; told him in person it took 2 of us, although I read here that someone was able to put them on by herself.

His response the next day? "It was a major chore to put this on by myself. The bird also passed out from the way I had to her head. I really didn't want to do this to all of them. Putting her back into generally population worked for me. All I'm saying, you may want to suggest other methods to others."

Yep. I have been duly warned. He didn't like this site, either, because no one "is ever" here to help. I probably won't be as willing to help someone in person because of this.

People in general lack manners; that's my two cents. And I think it's getting worse and not better. It's a given that written word is tougher because you can't see body language and get a good feel for tone, but I guess I figure those are what smilies are for.
big_smile.png

Ya I always hated smilies until people thought I meant something I didn't. Now I use them A LOT! LOL

There now seems to be a tendency in society as a whole to try to shut down and smother discussion on some subjects and to oppress the opinion of others. We need a healthy airing of opinions and ideas to sift through issues. When contrary opinions are suppressed, sometimes terrible mistakes are made. We need to know the difference between news and propaganda, between history and political dogma.

There seems to be a certain element in our society that cannot tolerate being wrong. We must follow the party line.

Well, my chicken coop is my chicken coop. I make my own decisions.

Rufus

Hi all!
As a newbie, I've become addicted to this site and surprisingly haven't experienced much of what is going on. I thought everyone might like the opinion of someone that's only been on here for a few months. When I first came on here, I just lurked. Read as much information as I could. I did feel very intimidated to answer anyone's questions because I did not own chickens yet and was afraid that no one would take me seriously. I owned about 7 books on raising chickens and knew that I could answer several of the simpler questions in the "I just got new chicks and don't know what to do with them" threads. It took me a while to get comfortable answering, but now that I'm a chicken and ducky mama I feel much better about helping others out. I've not experienced any nastiness towards questions that I've asked. I've been on other forums (such as ones for guinea pigs and bearded dragons) that are far worse than here for others putting the newbies down. This is one of the reasons that I'm still on here - after i've gotten all the information that I needed - and not on those sites anymore. Everyone that i've met on here has been so kind and welcoming to me and I truly appreciate that. It's nice to know that there are others that share my excitement when my chickies do something silly.

I do have a question though - what do ya'll consider an enabler? Curious as to why this should be avoided? Asking cuz I plan on being around for a while and I love helping out. Don't want to be ostracized for enabling an enabler..
wink.png

I do have a question though - what do ya'll consider an enabler? Curious as to why this should be avoided? Asking cuz I plan on being around for a while and I love helping out. Don't want to be ostracized for enabling an enabler..
wink.png

I'm pretty sure I'm past the enabler stage and could prolly be considered a full-fledged pusher.
wee.gif
I don't have a problem putting my two cents in most of the time.
clap.gif
I think you'll fit right in...........
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I figure if I have something I can add, I do. People can take it, or leave it. I do a lot of my own research on the site. I raised my first couple batchs of chicks with a brinesea octo 20 eco I found on this site; I have a new LG I'll use as a hatcher for my newest batch, again after reading experienced opinions from this site. I offer my opinion based on my own experiences. I have learned a lot from this site, and really appreciate the OT's that have posted (and continue to post) great practical advice for those of us who have "practical" flocks - eg; eggs/meat, not pets. I have no problems with people having chickens as pets; mine aren't, though, and I apprecate non-judgemental advice on the management of a backyard (or frontyard) layer/meat flock.

Everyone needs to remember that really there is a breathing, chicken loving, human being behind every post here. Folks that make mistakes, type before they think, and get their feather ruffled on occasion. It really pays to forgive people that have said or done something that is hurtful. Even if they don't ask. I just won't carry a grudge against someone. It would only cause me to have blood pressure problems. It just ain't worth the worry. Not everyone can be forgiving. It is a gift.
Good spirited fun is what this site should be about. That is what will bring more members to join into the forums. Most of the members are good spirited!

Everyone needs to remember that really there is a breathing, chicken loving, human being behind every post here. Folks that make mistakes, type before they think, and get their feather ruffled on occasion. It really pays to forgive people that have said or done something that is hurtful. Even if they don't ask. I just won't carry a grudge against someone. It would only cause me to have blood pressure problems. It just ain't worth the worry. Not everyone can be forgiving. It is a gift.
Good spirited fun is what this site should be about. That is what will bring more members to join into the forums. Most of the members are good spirited!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom