Is it possible for a cockerel to look like a pullet in an auto-sexing breed?

Gifa

Songster
7 Years
May 15, 2012
South Kansas City, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I got a box of chicks last month from Meyer Hatchery... One each of the following.

Blue Andalusian Female 1 $3.25
Black Australorp Female 1 $3.08
Cream Legbar Female 1 $35.00
Lavender Orpington Female 1 $20.00
Welsummer Female 1 $4.20

So, they arrived... and here in this image, I have painted a blue arrow pointing to the Cream Legbar.

On the left... there "she" is on the day "she" arrived...

On the right... there "she" is at 4 weeks old.

Look. At. That. Comb.

Is this normal comb development for Legbar pullets? or did I in fact spend $35 on a rooster I did not want, did not order... and can not keep in the city?

If it is a roo... What are my odds getting refunded by Meyer? I have attempted to contact them about this (so far, only on FB)... but have gotten no response (yet).

Last edited:
Sure looks like a cockerel to me.

Auto sexing only works when breeders are VERY careful to make sure that female looking chicks actually mature into hens and male looking chicks mature into roosters . When a lot of money can be made on a new breed, sometimes unscrupulous decisions are made.

I would be VERY upset with MPC if this actually is a cockerel. Do you have a better picture of him?

Last edited:
The problem with auto-sexing breeds of hatchery stock is that the lines are not necessarily maintained in a way that allows the auto sexing characteristics to remain true. Do you have any more clear photo of the chick when you got it?

That's the next best I've got... the legbar is the one in the middle. For some reason, all of the other photos I've got, the lav-O is standing in front of the Legbar

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom