Is my "cockerel" actually a pullet in disguise?

After looking through old pictures today, I was brought to the startling realization that Cooties has undergone a huge physical transformation since 2016. One can't even tell it's the same bird! :eek: What on earth starts out blatant cockerel, and ends up pretty hen? Just thought I would share for anybody who's still interested. :) Is (s)he indeed a chimera, or is there possibly another genetic abnormality which has caused this?

2016:
DSCN6835.JPG

Piranha (true cockerel) on left, Cooties on right.
DSCN6252.JPG

DSCN7964.JPG

2017:
DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN6268.JPG

DSCN9615.JPG

2018:
DSCN1316.JPG

DSCN1394.JPG

DSCN1435.JPG

Cooties on left, and Zelda on right.
DSCN1420.JPG

~Alex

Last edited:
You bet! :confused: Everything has changed, including overall stance and behavior.

Hormonal imbalance, perhaps.... No eggs at all. No "going after" hens, either.

~Alex
I recently read an article going through my old chicken magazines. I believe it said something about if a female gets a damaged ovary the remaining ovary can start to produce testosterone. These are those crazy birds that appear to change sexes. It said they can actually produce sperm as well. So perhaps yours is something along that line. Maybe it can go both ways. Yours seems to be both a hen and rooster and no idea which to be. So interesting. Lucky you. You get to watch that crazy show. :)

I recently read an article going through my old chicken magazines. I believe it said something about if a female gets a damaged ovary the remaining ovary can start to produce testosterone. These are those crazy birds that appear to change sexes. It said they can actually produce sperm as well. So perhaps yours is something along that line. Maybe it can go both ways. Yours seems to be both a hen and rooster and no idea which to be. So interesting. Lucky you. You get to watch that crazy show. :)
Who knew poultry could be so fascinating? :pop What's interesting is that Cooties appears to have reversed the norm - instead of transforming into a cockerel, it has become a pullet over time. Which almost leads me to believe it's always been female? :confused:

It's entirely probably that Cooties's both. :) Gender specific behavior tends to be seasonal. During spring and summer, (s)he wing dances subordinate chooks, tidbits, and crows. Colder months, such as the present, find him/her completely meek. No crowing, no wing dancing, with the addition of interest in other cockerels who tidbit.

~Alex

Hard to know if s/he has an ovary or testicles or both.
My guess is that the testicles were wonky and now are not(or less) functional.
Great documentation and pics.
I guess we'll only know if a necropsy is performed after (heaven forbid) (s)he passes away. Will be very interesting to find out. :) But for now, I enjoy watching Cooties attempt to live life as a normal chook.

Thank you so much! :D
I think something happened during the hormone stage and it didn't quite get enough testosterone so he started to roo but lacked the hormones to finish
Makes sense to me! :D If "something happened" indeed, I wonder what. :pop Love all the feedback. :)

~Alex

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190223-152328.png
    Screenshot_20190223-152328.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190223-152342.png
    Screenshot_20190223-152342.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom