Is my quail ok??

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
i just got two coturnix hens yesterday from a local breeder. One of them has been constantly hunched over and fluffed up, squinting a lot, and appears to be straining to poop. I have watched her poop multiple times and she continues to do this even after passing stool. Some of the poop in the cage is squishy and some has white powder, i don’t know which bird these are coming from. She has not laid an egg but the other new hen did. Is she sick? Is she egg bound? Is this normal? Help?

This is what she’s been doing, sometimes she’s more fluffed up. Mostly she stands still but she does run away from my hand

Attachments

• IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’m on the phone with the vet, gonna talk to a tech and see if they think it’s worth bringing her in.

the tech thinks she’s sick too, the breeder says I should bring her back

Last edited:
I would just take the bird back to the breeder. They will probably have some meds. if you take another bird from them you may end up with another sick bird so make sure its quarantined for a few days.
I’d be picking up a new bird same day - should I just request a refund and keep waffle alone until I van get a quail from southwest gamebirds or someone else reputable?

Take her back. You shouldn't have to deal with the breeder selling you a sick bird. To be honest, I would take them both back and get them from SW Gamebirds or a reputable breeder.
I’d be picking up a new bird same day - should I just request a refund and keep waffle alone until I van get a quail from southwest gamebirds or someone else reputable?
Nabiki knows that they are talking about

Back
Top Bottom