Is Purina Flockraiser good enough for starting Buttons and Coturnix?

bluere11e

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
West Palm Beach
Hi,
I'm new to the world of Quail and I hear conflicting information. I have 2 pair of Buttons that pretty much are spoiled rotten. they get tiny meal worms, little bugs, chopped fruit, sprouted grains and basically anything that my cockatiels drop on my 8X10 aviary floor.
I've decided that i want to get into bigger quail and have contacted a few breeders for eggs when I am ready. In the mean time, I have meaties (cornish cross) that i have raised for others in the past for food (I can't steel myself to kill anything innocent and cute yet).. I use flock raiser for those and have actually sprinkled a bit pinched and ground for my buttons.. They turn their beaks up at it.
hu.gif

But, I was told by two different quail experts, One said feed game bird starter non=medicated for the entire life of the quail and a few treats, and the other said Flockraiser from start to end..
I know that somethings work always for others that mightnot work for me, but now that i am getting into Coturnix and Bob's.. i want to do right by them
AND want to know if I can use the same feed for all breeds of quail that I have or am going to raise?

Flock raiser will be fine for later in life but for their beginnings I would go for a gamebird feed unmedicated 28-30% for up to 6 weeks.

If you check the label, it should be unmedicated. I am always the crazy person looking at the labels before they go in the car.

Quote:
Purina has both medicated and non-medicated game bird starters. You will need to see what is available in your area. If non-medicated Purina is not sold in your area, then you MIGHT be able to get them to order it for you.

It took me quite a lot of effort to get non-medicated Purina GBS here, though. (I could get other brands with a much lower protein amount, though.)

Quote:
Purina has both medicated and non-medicated game bird starters. You will need to see what is available in your area. If non-medicated Purina is not sold in your area, then you MIGHT be able to get them to order it for you.

It took me quite a lot of effort to get non-medicated Purina GBS here, though. (I could get other brands with a much lower protein amount, though.)

SHOULD BE NON MEDICATED DOWN HERE.... THATS ALL I HAVE EVER SEEN AND WHEN I GOT IT I WAS YTOLD THEY "DIDNT MAKE A MEDICATED FEED" I KNOW THEY DO, ITS JUST NOT SOLD DOWN HERE
hmm.png

I've only seen the non medicated here, ask for Gamebird Startena.
BTW The game bird feeds are all bagged in the same "gamebird chow" bags so be sure to check the tag on the bottom of each bag so you don't come home with the wrong thing. I bought another feed at a feedstore, got home, opened the bag to realize I bought medicated turkey starter instead of the feed I wanted, I don't even have turkeys.
he.gif

No one around here carries Purina anything besides dog food. I've had to feed either Alber's or Payback brand feed. The Alber's works best for me. Feedstores around here are lacking a lot of things. In a pinch, when the feedstore couldn't order me gamebird anything, I have used a regular non-medicated chick starter to raise coturnix on. They grew out well and just as fast on the 22% starter. This time I special ordered Turkey Starter after a lot of convincing.

There isn't even a special order for gamebird feed here unless you want dove and quail mix seeds. So it's just Alber's Waterfowl, their version of Flock Raiser, or Payback's All Purpose Poultry. Both of these are the only Non-medicated feeds available here. Everyone feeds medicated to everything.

Back
Top Bottom