Is there a need for 'poultry grower finisher crumblet'?

tswanick

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2016
Whitinsville, MA
Hi All, my chicks are going on 6 weeks and my chick starter feed instructions say to switch to grower finisher crumbles at 6-8 weeks. My question is, can I just leave them on the chick starter 20% protein, until they are ready for their layer feed? Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Hi All, my chicks are going on 6 weeks and my chick starter feed instructions say to switch to grower finisher crumbles at 6-8 weeks. My question is, can I just leave them on the chick starter 20% protein, until they are ready for their layer feed? Thanks so much for any thoughts!
You can leave them on the chick starter for life and they will do far better than switching them to layer feed. Just put out one or two containers of oyster shell at 17 weeks to get them thinking about it. They will consume what they need when they need it when the eggs start coming.

You can leave them on the chick starter for life and they will do far better than switching them to layer feed. Just put out one or two containers of oyster shell at 17 weeks to get them thinking about it. They will consume what they need when they need it when the eggs start coming.
So chick starter is just lacking in calcium? But acceptable if there are other forms offered?

.. or if they free range id say, starter is good stuff but extremely expensive .. if i could afford to feed my flock that id be eating better to lol ..

So chick starter is just lacking in calcium? But acceptable if there are other forms offered?
Basically. Layer mixes are designed to offer the minimum amount of protein to keep the bird laying and offer enough calcium for the shell.
Hens don't need that extra calcium when they are molting or setting eggs/raising chicks (and not laying). They always need more than the minimum protein to keep them in optimal condition.

Basically. Layer mixes are designed to offer the minimum amount of protein to keep the bird laying and offer enough calcium for the shell.
Hens don't need that extra calcium when they are molting or setting eggs/raising chicks (and not laying). They always need more than the minimum protein to keep them in optimal condition.
Good to know. Thank you!

If I keep my chicks on their starter food rather than switch to grower, would I need to change to a non-medicated chick starter food? And, if so, do I make that switch at the 8 week mark? Thanks!

If I keep my chicks on their starter food rather than switch to grower, would I need to change to a non-medicated chick starter food? And, if so, do I make that switch at the 8 week mark? Thanks!
There's not a magic age cut off. If the chicks are already outside and have been for a few weeks without issue, you can switch to non medicated at any point. If they haven't been outside a few weeks, would be prudent to keep them on until that point. But yes I would not feed medicated feed forever, as it does inhibit thiamine intake.

There's not a magic age cut off. If the chicks are already outside and have been for a few weeks without issue, you can switch to non medicated at any point. If they haven't been outside a few weeks, would be prudent to keep them on until that point. But yes I would not feed medicated feed forever, as it does inhibit thiamine intake.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom