Is there another breed that has black pigment skin?

lindamass15

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
Ok, my brother keeps on telling me that there are other breeds that have black or darker skin pigment, but I have only seen Silkies that have black pigment skin is there really any other breeds other than silkies?

thanks
linda

There are several other breeds with black skin but they are all very rare in the US. One kind is the Ogul from Korea. There are several meat breeds with black skin/flesh in Asia that are used in certain dishes and for special occasions and they are sometimes used medicinally. You can by black fleshed chickens in Asian markets in the US that are obviously not silkies as they are plump like a meat chicken but I'm not sure if they are imported they could also be silkie crosses raised here.

The only ones I could think of although most would be rare in the U.S. if they are even here, but there is Svar Hona and Ayam Cemani. I'm not sure but I think Sumatras may have black skin and are very common in the U.S. and lots of people on here have them so you could ask someone to make sure.

Last edited:
So, if I decide to say cross welsummer with silkie will that even work and will the skin pigment change? Also if I take their hatch and cross it again with silkie then would that make the genes stronger to make the skin darker? I'm curious because some of mine are house together.

thanks

I'm pretty sure the skin color is dominent so most the chicks would have black skin but I don't think this would make a very pretty bird. If you cross back then most would look similar to a silkie with a few maybe even coming out with silkie feathers. Im curios though of why you would do this?

I have 2 extra roosters so was just wondering, after I went to a friends farm and thats what her parents are trying to do with their RIR, didn't ask why they wanted it so I guess monkey see monkey do
hu.gif

I'm pretty sure that Black Javas have white or pink skin. I would be suprised if they had black or blue skin considering thier combs and wattles are bright red but the Ayam Cemini has very black skin.

Yeah, I think the black pigment is dominant. I had a hatch of cochin/silkies and one ended up being pitch black (skin and all) out of three. I wonder what black skinned chicken tastes like?

Back
Top Bottom