Is this a deal on a used Sportsman? What do I look for?

Rebecky54

Songster
Jun 7, 2010
North Dakota
I have been agonizing over getting a new incubator and couldn't make up mind between another small incubator over moving up to a cabinet. Anyway, I looked in the local want ads today and found TWO used Sportsman. The man said he bought them last fall from a deceased neighbors wife. There were used 2 seasons and are like new. He has them covered with a tarp in his garage and so is unsure if they are 1202 or 1502. They come with the manual and egg trays. He and his wife have decided to move to town after the past winter, so he never got a chance to use them -- he was planning on raising pheasants.

I think this is a good price, but what do I look for as regards to faults, damage, condition etc?

TIA,

Becky -- we are having a blizzard today on May 1st.

JMHO. If it's one of the newer 1500 series that's a real deal, if it's one of the old 1200 series it's just a bit on the high side. I gave $200.00 for my very early 1200 with the acrylic door, auto turners and the updated thermostats. Saw lots around for $250.00.

I think location has a lot to do with price too.

Quote:
Yeah, but mine's so old GQF couldn't even tell me when it was made. lol

Whew, glad you dropped the pennies!

You crack me up! I am looking for a cabinet bator, unless I can convince Ken to build me one.

I just last week bought a new 1502 sportsman and it is in my kitchen where I can see it all the time, it is so pretty. It is spot on for everything and was plug and play. It is completely automated except for adding water to the tub. Maybe I should have gotten the bucket attachment too, but I just love how easy it is. If the older models work this well, you should make a deal on both of them, if they are the 1502's. I seen a new 1502 for $699 today, plus shipping. I hope you can get them for a deal, two for one.

They are supposedly 3 years old, but the man isn't sure if they are 1202 or 1502. They have full acrylic doors and the trays included which is another $100. I'm only going to get one -- I don't need two -- I'll be in enough trouble with one if I fill it.
smile.png

Becky

Back
Top Bottom