Is this a tumor? Please help be determine the best course of action for this hot mess.

Once you've cleaned and flushed and are ready to apply ointment, I would use the neosporin since it's petroleum based and will stick better and keep the area moist. Veterycin is good for cleaning, but it will not stay moist as long. Softening and removing the scab may happen slowly over several tries depending on how thick and dry it is. The neosporin in between sessions will also help soften it. I often use hibiclens when cleaning wounds on my birds.
Thanks so much. I’ll go the neosporin route and will pick up hibiclens after work.

Could you elaborate on how I should go about flushing it? Is it as simple as rinsing with tap water, or should I get a douche and use saline?
When I get home, I’m planning to start with an epsom salt soak for a few minutes, clean with hydrogen peroxide and apply a hot compress to try and loosen the scab, rinse with hibiclens and follow with neosporin. Does this sound like a good course of action?
How often should I do this? Sorry for asking so many questions.

A large syringe from a feed store or turkey baster can work well to flush out a wound. A sink sprayer hose also works to flush out a wound, or to rinse off any Betadine or Hibiclens, etc. The Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment is very good to apply after each cleaning.

IMG_2967.jpeg

Here are right, top, and side views of the wound after soaking/compressing for 15 minutes total and removing excess scab gently with tweezer - did bleed a tiny bit, but scab is loosening. Just trying to get to what’s underneath so I can flush it. 😓
Started with epsom salt, hydrogen peroxide, Hibiclens, and finished with Simply Neosporin.

Any input is highly appreciated 💜 Thank you for your help so far.
Are odds looking better that it’s an infection and not a tumor, or is it too early to tell?
I won’t give up on him until he gives up.
Would you leave him with the flock or separate him (into a crate within the coop)?I have differing opinions on Facebook and I’m not sure what the right move is.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 25
I personally would crate him. The wound is very visible and it could easily draw pecking and more injury. If he's stressed, then crate him in the run so he can still see everyone and they can see him, but he's safe from injury. Putting him on clean towels or puppy pads and changing as needed, rather than loose shavings, will help keep it clean. It does look like a wound, but until it's all cleaned up, hard to tell for sure. When it's softened, sometimes you can take a wet cloth and gently rub some of it away (debriding). I would be careful around the preen gland, if it's not damaged, don't want to make it so.

I personally would crate him. The wound is very visible and it could easily draw pecking and more injury. If he's stressed, then crate him in the run so he can still see everyone and they can see him, but he's safe from injury. Putting him on clean towels or puppy pads and changing as needed, rather than loose shavings, will help keep it clean. It does look like a wound, but until it's all cleaned up, hard to tell for sure. When it's softened, sometimes you can take a wet cloth and gently rub some of it away (debriding). I would be careful around the preen gland, if it's not damaged, don't want to make it so.
Will do. I had hoped since it wasn’t red and bloody it wasn’t at risk of pecking, but I don’t want to take any chances.
I used a sanitized toothbrush last night for debriding, will use a cloth today and see if that helps. The scab is so thick, I wondered about using a sanitized Exacto knife to gently scrape some of it away? Maybe that’s a horrible idea, I don’t know. I didn’t try it but the thought crossed my mind.
Just need to get underneath so I can see what I’m dealing with!

Will do. I had hoped since it wasn’t red and bloody it wasn’t at risk of pecking, but I don’t want to take any chances.
I used a sanitized toothbrush last night for debriding, will use a cloth today and see if that helps. The scab is so thick, I wondered about using a sanitized Exacto knife to gently scrape some of it away? Maybe that’s a horrible idea, I don’t know. I didn’t try it but the thought crossed my mind.
Just need to get underneath so I can see what I’m dealing with!
I usually use a sterile pair of tweezers to peel away dead skin from a wound, stopping if it starts bleeding too much

I also use tweezers, it makes it easy to start at the edges and slowly work it loose. Just don't rush it, it may take a while, and many tries to be able to get it loose, small bits at a time. You just want to do as little damage to the healthy tissue around it as possible.

Are there any maggots in the wound?
No maggots, I’ve been very vigilant about watching for that because I know he’s at risk for fly strike. Right now I have his nub covered in neosporin, bandaged up with vet tape and nonstick gauze - it does seem to be healing, slowly but surely. I’m hopeful it’s not a tumor, but can’t rule it out completely. These are from this afternoon.
IMG_3013.jpeg
IMG_3014.jpeg
IMG_3012.jpeg

I also use tweezers, it makes it easy to start at the edges and slowly work it loose. Just don't rush it, it may take a while, and many tries to be able to get it loose, small bits at a time. You just want to do as little damage to the healthy tissue around it as possible.
Thanks, I did this! Didn’t remove the scab completely but I did clean it up tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom