Is this an IB Pied Peachick?

I will get some photos of the parents as well as some clearer ones of the chick this afternoon. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Here are some hopefully better pictures, I will get pictures of the parents this afternoon when it stops raining.

Last edited:
From those new pics, I'd have to agree with IB pied, you can see the IB coloring more clearly on the inner part of the wing, toward the body.

Curious though, that little pale one really does look like it could be a white bird. Sure your white peahen wasn't in with your IB split white/cameo male?

From those new pics, I'd have to agree with IB pied, you can see the IB coloring more clearly on the inner part of the wing, toward the body.

Curious though, that little pale one really does look like it could be a white bird. Sure your white peahen wasn't in with your IB split white/cameo male?

It is indeed a white chick. The chick hatched out of an egg that I marked IB so it came from my IB hen. I dont know how that happened. It didn't come from the white hen because she is in a
Completely separate pen and she is just a year old. All this genetics stuff is sure confusing!

It is indeed a white chick. The chick hatched out of an egg that I marked IB so it came from my IB hen. I dont know how that happened. It didn't come from the white hen because she is in a
Completely separate pen and she is just a year old. All this genetics stuff is sure confusing!
Don't feel bad. Every time I start to think I know what I'm talking about, someone adds a new twist.

Pretty sure you have a pied chick. Just not sure on the color. Do you know where the parents came from? I have always loved pied babies. Here's the first of mine for the season.

If you are sure that the white came from the IB, then the IB hen is split to white for certain. The male is also split to white for certain, and your cameo hen is carrying the pied gene, and would be the mother of your little pied chick!

DAS - thats beautiful pied colouring on that chick!

Here are pictures of the adults.
This is the Cameo Hen:

This is the IB hen (notice the white flights):
Also that pied in the bottom of the picture came from the IB Male and one of these hens.

This is the IB Male split Cameo/White (notice the white under the beak):

This is the male's wing with the white flights:

EDIT: I just looked through my email of when I purchased the IB male and found that the father was a Cameo White Eye and the mother was a Cameo carrying White. As for the hens I don't know the parents. And Thanks for your help in identifying this chick!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I love a good mystery
lol.png
Now for the next question.

Cameo white-eyed male x Cameo hen split to white --parents

This doesn't work because all offspring would be Cameo. There would be no Cameo splits. So your male could not be from this pairing.

If you are sure that the white came from the IB, then the IB hen is split to white for certain. The male is also split to white for certain, and your cameo hen is carrying the pied gene, and would be the mother of your little pied chick!

DAS - thats beautiful pied colouring on that chick!
Thank you. I like his coloring too.
smile.png

That male is a dark pied look at the white on his neck.
I lost my dark pied but when i did an autopsy i found he had white feathers back under his rear end that i could not see till i plucked him

I love a good mystery  :lol:   Now for the next question.  

Cameo white-eyed male x Cameo hen split to white --parents

This doesn't work because all offspring would be Cameo.  There would be no Cameo splits.  So your male could not be from this pairing.

I was wondering about that too! He has to be carrying cameo because I gave gotten many cameo chicks from him. This pen is nothing but mysteries!

Back
Top Bottom