Is this an official breed or a plain ole crossbred chicken

Buttons364

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
Hello all,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I have recently started hatching chicks, both naturally and in an incubator. I have had many chicks hatch, but all of the chicks look identical, if they came from the same mother. I was under the assumption that the chicks would be like humans and slightly vary in appearance. That is quite interesting, but it brings me to my question. If I list out the mother and father, could someone identify the breed of the chick, or if it is just a crossbred chicken? I will attach pictures of the father, and then the mother. The father is an Easter Egger(at least what I was told) and the mothers are a Rhode Island Red, an Amberlink, and a Cochin Bantam. I have not confirmed whether Boots is actually a Cochin Bantam or not, as I got her from Tractor Supply from a pen labeled Bantams. So I was curious if someone could identify what recognized breed the chicks would be, or would they be mutts?

The first image is the father(not the best picture) and it was after he got attacked by a dog. His tail feathers have grown back now, and it looks like a normal rooster tail. The second is the bantam which I believe is a Cochin bantam. I did not attach pictures of the RIR or Amberlink, I figure most people know what they look like. The third picture is of the rooster and Amberlink cross(left chick) and the right is the rooster and RIR cross). I did not know if either would be an actually recognized breed or mutt. The final one is of the Rooster and the hen from the second picture. I apologize for how long this is, and if you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Buttons

Attachments

• Chicken Joe.jpg
    Chicken Joe.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Boots.jpg
    Boots.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 11
  • AmberRIRchicks.jpg
    AmberRIRchicks.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 11
  • AMBERRIRMIX.jpg
    AMBERRIRMIX.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Babyboots.jpg
    Babyboots.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 10
Those would be mutts. But they should lay olive eggs for you!
If you put a green, or blue egg rooster over brown layers you'll get 50/50 OE, or normal brown.

ok, that is what I was thinking. By recognized breeds, I meant like would there be a name for them or would I refer to them as barnyard mix? Is there any way to tell which chicks would be OE and which would be brown layers without them laying eggs?

ok, that is what I was thinking. By recognized breeds, I meant like would there be a name for them or would I refer to them as barnyard mix? Is there any way to tell which chicks would be OE and which would be brown layers without them laying eggs?
No, since the EE father could have one or two copies of the blue egg shell gene; or even no copies at all. If all his offspring lay green/olive eggs then he probably does have two copies, and you would be able to predict that all of his offspring from future hatches will probably lay green/olive (or blue if crossed to a white layer).

So if I continue to breed him with his current ladies, while all of his offspring look basically identical? This is the second round of chicks, and so far all the chicks that share the same mother look almost identical. Does this mean that they pass down the same genes everytime since its with the same hen?

So if I continue to breed him with his current ladies, while all of his offspring look basically identical? This is the second round of chicks, and so far all the chicks that share the same mother look almost identical. Does this mean that they pass down the same genes everytime since its with the same hen?
Yes, that’s basically it. If you want more variation, I would breed the rooster’s daughters back to him or breed his offspring to each other.

Back
Top Bottom