Is this good feed?

LoganTW

Chirping
6 Years
Hi i was wondering if this is good feed- for when I get my chickens? When their chicks, purina start and grow, then when their adults purina layena plus omega 3, purina scratch grains as a treat, the purina flock block, my own feed I make which will be whole grains not pellets like purina, I will give you the ingredients later tonight or early tomorrow, my own scratch I make, once again I will give you the ingredients later, some fodder as a once a day treat, purina grit, purina oyster shell, mixed in with their egg shells crushed up with it, oh! And the purina chick grit for when their chicks, live and dried mealworms that I will raise for them, and the bugs and grass they find when foraging in their fence, and then of course a little bit of my homemade bread, and then if it starts to get old BEFORE it molds I will throw it out for them, and then they will get free run of the mulberry trees that is in their fence and my garden that will be in their fence and the gooseberries bush in the fence

So is that a good diet? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks a ton Logan

This is the food I will make For them

Code Brand Name Size Price Quantity
GP073 Bulk Chicken Wheat, Organic 50 lbs. $17.50
BE060 Bulk Green Split Peas, Organic 25 lbs. $19.20
GR103 Bulk Imported White Jasmine Rice 25 lbs. $28.85
CE334 Bulk Rice Bran, Stabilized, All Natural 5 lbs. $11.75
GP168 Bulk Whole Barley - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $26.60
GR027 Bulk Whole Corn, Organic 50 lbs. $33.95
GP034 Bulk Whole Oats with Hulls - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $16.50
BE103 Bulk Yellow Split Peas, Organic 25lbs. $28.10
GP002 Thorvin Kelp Gran ASCO Animal (Blue Label), Organic 50 lbs. $68.75

All from azure standard (the prices are there because I just copied my favorites list)

Last edited:
This is the food I will make For them

Code Brand Name Size Price Quantity
GP073 Bulk Chicken Wheat, Organic 50 lbs. $17.50
BE060 Bulk Green Split Peas, Organic 25 lbs. $19.20
GR103 Bulk Imported White Jasmine Rice 25 lbs. $28.85
CE334 Bulk Rice Bran, Stabilized, All Natural 5 lbs. $11.75
GP168 Bulk Whole Barley - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $26.60
GR027 Bulk Whole Corn, Organic 50 lbs. $33.95
GP034 Bulk Whole Oats with Hulls - Animal Feed, Organic 45 lbs. $16.50
BE103 Bulk Yellow Split Peas, Organic 25lbs. $28.10
GP002 Thorvin Kelp Gran ASCO Animal (Blue Label), Organic 50 lbs. $68.75

All from azure standard (the prices are there because I just copied my favorites list)
I don't know in what proportions you mix these ingredients but by my reckoning on the back of a napkin, it comes to about 85 cents per pound or over $42 per 50 pound sack, or over $2.50 per dozen eggs in feed cost and up depending on chicken type, chicken breed and the time of year. And I still don't see a source of acceptable protein.

Last edited:
In my first post I mentained, that I will breed mealworms for them. And as for the cost, A. I'm hoping for them not to eat alot with how I have my fence set up. B. I can sell just to my neighbors a dozen eggs for $3.00. or at least they say that's what they will pay.

You might be able to save some money by skipping the corn-- that is your highest expense by far if I am understanding your listing.

Corn and soy have a good protin balance, but if you are not going that route, but rahter to include mealworms as the animal protein perhaps corn is not necessary at all.

Have you looked at other meat sources?? Or jsut the emal worms?

I have looked at different proteins, and the reason the corn looked so expensive, is because I had two bags in the cart for some reason. Anyways, for protein the reason I have corn is because I might not be able to raise enough mealworms to feed a lot. And they would also get bugs from outside but they would be in a fence so they might not get a bunch of insects via foraging.

Out here on the farm, corn is used because it is often less expensive, and it makes things fat. It adds energy but is what we term empty calories. In a way like candy… not that good of a feed. However being plentiful and cheep, it is used a lot in scratch and anything else that they can put it in. We have finished off hogs, and some cattle with lots of corn. In birds it can be overused to the point they will become to fat to lay.

The proteins in our corn are not especially high, both red and white wheat seem to run more out here. So if I were to figure that I could devise a feed mix by myself that would be better that a factory mix, I might leave the corn out altogether.

Just my thoughts on the corn, only you know best for your needs and birds and I am good with that.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom