Is this poo normal? First chicken, first 24hrs!

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Windsor
Hi, everyone!
I'm proud to say that last night, I picked up my very first chicken, a (roughly?) 3-4 month old buff laced Polish. I'm not sure what her poop or pooping pattern is supposed to be, so I'm a little concerned - last night, she made a bunch of normal poops (according to pics I've seen on the forums). But today, I've noticed about 4 separate LOOSE poops - they look like melted chocolate ice cream! I saw her 'create' one of them, and it just squirted right out.
She seems to be drinking and eating normally, and all she's had today for treats have been 3 blueberries and a slug, which she may or may not have eaten, due to her 'Polish vision issue'. She's been in a well-ventilated coop, alone, on pine shavings.
I bought her from a local hobby farm, where she was allowed to free range, although she'd been in a large pen with some younger Polish for the last month. Her personality has actually surprised me - she submits to being picked up, pet, etc, then goes back to scratching and pecking. The neighbourhood kids have been here all day checking her out. Could it be normal caecal poop, stress from moving to a new home, a new food? I'm not sure what she was eating at the farm, but I'm giving her Purina grower.
Thanks in advance!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds pretty normal to me. I don't know the website name,if you do a search on here you can find it, that has pictures of every kind of "normal" chicken poop that there is. I just recently discovered the site from a post on here. It is awesome!!

Do you plan on getting another chicken? They don't usually do well by themselves as they are very social creatures. You have to be careful getting a bunch from different sources though because you may then end up introducing illnesses that you really don't want.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of chicken ownership! It's so much more fun than I ever expected!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks! And we certainly are
big_smile.png
This one came from a farm 30 miles east of us, and the other 2 will be coming from a farm 30 miles west - my fiance's coworker is giving us 2 birds from her mom's farm (they breed Ameraucanas!!!)
wee.gif

We can't get any more than 3
hmm.png
They're technically illegal, but unless someone reports/complains, it's not an issue. I'm bringing the bylaw to Council after the October elections, it's ridiculous that I can't have a couple of pet chickens!

That site is so gross! It was ssoooo helpful though!!

I know what you mean, there are so many other things to obsess about! At least it's not poop!

Illegal chickens?
barnie.gif
Good luck in October with changing that!
fl.gif

I wish people would understand the "pet" part of chickens. And sorry to inform them, but my chickens don't keep me up all night, but my neighbors' dogs do! I think dog poop smells worse too
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Would you believe that back in 1985, when the bylaw was written, they made it LEGAL to keep up to 80 PIGEONS, but no chickens!?
Pigeons carry the same types and number of diseases as city rats, and they poop is so volatile, it eats through shingles. My chicken is fertilizing my garden. Organically, and illegally. It's just nuts. I'm going to quote some sort of poop toxicity test in my presentation.

Back
Top Bottom