is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

Unless something has already been said to this neighbor, something should be. Animals don't have a voice, and sometimes concerned humans have to speak for them. As someone above posted, give fair warning. It's possible the owner is oblivious but not awful. He may have grown up somewhere where everyone let their birds run all around. I think bringing it to his attention in the form of, "I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but your birds have been frequenting my parents' property. Now one's gone broody and is vulnerable to predators. I'm sure you want her safe. Do you need help moving her?" and then, "if you don't have coop space to keep her safe, I will try to make room in mine. But I get attached quickly to hens, so this arrangement would be permanent. What do you want to do?" That's how I'd handle it. Give him a chance to do the right thing without losing face, but make sure the bird family is safe. If he's a jerk and says it's none of your business, that's a new situation.

I'd be really ticked if someone took my hen, free range or not. I think I'd explain that she's broody and sitting on a clutch and offer him $10 to buy her. I'm betting if he hasn't come looking for her he's got a good size flock and doesn't have much use for a broody anyhow.

Unless something has already been said to this neighbor, something should be. Animals don't have a voice, and sometimes concerned humans have to speak for them. As someone above posted, give fair warning. It's possible the owner is oblivious but not awful. He may have grown up somewhere where everyone let their birds run all around. I think bringing it to his attention in the form of, "I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but your birds have been frequenting my parents' property. Now one's gone broody and is vulnerable to predators. I'm sure you want her safe. Do you need help moving her?" and then, "if you don't have coop space to keep her safe, I will try to make room in mine. But I get attached quickly to hens, so this arrangement would be permanent. What do you want to do?" That's how I'd handle it. Give him a chance to do the right thing without losing face, but make sure the bird family is safe. If he's a jerk and says it's none of your business, that's a new situation.

I don't know about that jerk thing but someone else's bird is none of your business.

What are the rules in Florida concerning wayward livestock. With a swarm of bees where I grew up, it was property of the landowner from which swarm issued (came from) so long as landowner could track them by sight. Once they are lost from sight they are considered feral and therefore free to whomever takes time to hive them. I suspect a law / rule of similar nature pertains to chickens in OP's area.

I don't know about that jerk thing but someone else's bird is none of your business.
Really? If it's on your property, it's your business. And if you approach someone politely, just letting them know in a respectful way what the situation is, I agree, it's their business how they handle it as long as they get it off of your property. If someone's dog had puppies under your porch, is that none of your business too?

The world is shades of gray, not black and white. This thread is just a game of "what if" and "if this, then that." I would not be hasty to judge the posters here on their REAL LIFE morality and ethics, whatever one's perception of morality might be.

Last edited:
i came across this post by sheer whatever. i just want to know the out come.florida is an interesting state. i lived there for 3 years. the people are funny and come from all walks if life. i don;t know about livestock laws there. chicken are classified as live stock. a dog, cat.' as such is a domesticated animal pets different laws. if it was my situation i would have very mixed opinion. 1 st common welfare of the animal removing it from imeditate danger comes first. now how a going about doing it. that is the question. if you have knowledge of whom the chicken belongs to well that person must be informed. if they take the chicken back to there property then that solves that issue. if you have reason to be leave that the livestock is not being cared for in a manner that according to law is sufficient then you have grounds to involve authorities..
situations in life come up not to our liking or standards, that is why laws were put into place.. to keep a so called even balance.
the situation is really a simple fix. knock on the neighbors door. if you are unable to get someone else to do it. inform the neighbor of the current danger to the chicken. if the owner refuses to do anything for the chicken in a reasonable amount of time . then only then would i remove the chicken. yes there maybe repercussions such as being accused of theft. however in any court in this country you could never be found guilty of that crime.
the reasons are 1. you informed the livestock owner 2. the livestock owner is then liable for neglagence . 3. you are acting in a manner for the best interest of a living, breathing animal.
this could all resolved in about 30 min. tops. that is my 2 cents

I think it would just be common curiously to let the owner of the chickens know about the hen. Wouldn't hurt to ask if you could have her....they could only say yes or no. That way they know where she went and wouldn't be worried where she is. Just because they roam doesn't mean they aren't cared for. I personally keep my animals on my property or if one gets out I go after it and let others know I am looking....but not everyone is raised that way. I don't want my animals to be a nuisance to anyone nor for them to get hurt. But if the owner feels that everyone in the area has no problems with the chickens....then they might not even be thinking of them being a problem.

Back
Top Bottom