is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

Wouldn't it be terrible though, to be the one who had to clean up the carnage in YOUR OWN yard cause your neighbor ignored their responsibility to protect their animal.... I say speak to him politely... if she's still there the next day, protect her.

By the way, the "It's not yours, leave it" would be okay if it was on the owner's property, and of course that would be the correct response. But the broody is on the NEIGHBORS' property. You're putting the burden of conscience for the broody's safety and the consequences of her nesting site, on the neighbors' shoulders. The person whose property it's on has a right to a say, here. I sure as hell would feel awful if someone's hen nested in my fountain and i just let a hawk come snatch her on my watch. If the owner doesn't care where she is, that puts the burden on me. Think of the hen as a living entity, not property, and act to protect HER (and her brood). THEN it's a "no brainer."

X2 well said

You're talking about going onto someone else's propertyk your friend's, and taking a bird that you know for a fact belongs to a third party, your neighbor. Do I have that right. You really have to ask if that's "stealing"? Of course it is. What else could taking something that you absolutely know belongs to someone else possibly be? If the neighbor you are friends with doesn't care about the other neighbor's birds wandering onto their property how is it any business of yours? If you want the bird that badly go to the known owner & offer to buy it.

I agree, offer to buy the bird.

Posted by GardenerGal

By the way, the "It's not yours, leave it" would be okay if it was on the owner's property, and of course that would be the correct response. But the broody is on the NEIGHBORS' property. You're putting the burden of conscience for the broody's safety and the consequences of her nesting site, on the neighbors' shoulders. The person whose property it's on has a right to a say, here. I sure as hell would feel awful if someone's hen nested in my fountain and i just let a hawk come snatch her on my watch. If the owner doesn't care where she is, that puts the burden on me. Think of the hen as a living entity, not property, and act to protect HER (and her brood). THEN it's a "no brainer

Who's putting the 'burden of conscience' on the neighbor. It's thier conscience, they control thier own emotions. Nobody can lay a burden on anyone's conscience, it has to be assumed.And how do you know the owner doesn't care where the hen is? Unless I missed something and as far as I know the owner hasn't been contacted. I still stick by the fact that the hen isn't yours so if your so concerned and your conscience is really bothering you, talk to the owner and settle all this. Until the owner is contacted, all this hand wringing and speculation is a waste of time. I'd like to know what the person who started this thread has done since starting it. How about an update

Really? If it's on your property, it's your business. And if you approach someone politely, just letting them know in a respectful way what the situation is, I agree, it's their business how they handle it as long as they get it off of your property. If someone's dog had puppies under your porch, is that none of your business too?
If you'd bother to read the OP for details you'd notice the bird isn't on their property it's on the property of an unheard from third party. You'd also notice that they've made no effort to contact the bird's known owner, they just want to steal the bird.

If you'd bother to read the OP for details you'd notice the bird isn't on their property it's on the property of an unheard from third party. You'd also notice that they've made no effort to contact the bird's known owner, they just want to steal the bird.

Please look at the following 2 quotes from the OP. She clearly states the broody is on her parent's property which is being rented to a good friend, which is why they are contacting the OP.

We also do not know if she wants to steal the bird, in fact I submit that she has a moral delema and is asking advice if taking a stray bird would be stealing because she does not want to steal it.. That is a fairly bold accusation. She was asking moral advice about what to do with someone else's bird when they wander onto your property and set up shop. She also says she really doesn't know who owns these birds, just where they are seen most often with an assumption-- which we all know can be wrong.
The neighbors whom i assume own the chickens (since the chickens are mostly in that acreage) are jot renting from my parents. The neighbors who have the broody in the front yard are renting from my parents.so they are the ones who CALLED me to come get her since they know i have chickens. They arent bothered by her they just dont want anypthing to happen to her.
These birds arent valuable or anything like that, just your basic barnyard oegb mixes.

I am good friends with the renters and the they called me today to tell me a cat was IN the fountain with the eggs and mama was on the ground clucking at it. She shooed the cat away...she is a very savvy hen though. I know her babies will be ok. I just dont knoe if she is going to let us near her to get the babies out of the fountain once she hatches them. Cause it is like a one foot high lip and a 2"possum" foot drop to a concrete floor so we definitely need to be the ones to get those babies out when the time comes.
I decicded.not to take her. For me it was 2a reasons. 1. Biosecurity. I have a very closed dlock and lord knows what this hen has been exposed to or carries.
And #2the even though i think i can take her without remorse i also try to do unto othets as i would want them to do to me. And while i dont think i will ever allow my livestock to act like strays i also dont think the owner id intentionally mistreating them. I think its a cultural thing. I dont think the owner sees it as neglect. And since i am not woman enough to knock on bis door and ask for the chicken i shouldnt be sneaky and take it even tbiugh i "could" without repurcussion.

The OP has not returned to the thread since page 3 so I am assuming, based on this quote above saying she isn't going to take the bird, that this is more of a rhetorical discussion at this point.

Last edited:
honestly, if you have to ask "is this stealing?" then you already know the answer - yes it is.

If you are worried about the bird, contact the owners and ask if you can buy her. It's very possible that they don't know where she has decided to make her nest and would come and get her. It's also very possible that they will say "ok you can have her."

honestly, if you have to ask "is this stealing?" then you already know the answer - yes it is.

If you are worried about the bird, contact the owners and ask if you can buy her. It's very possible that they don't know where she has decided to make her nest and would come and get her. It's also very possible that they will say "ok you can have her."

goodpost.gif
Pretty much sums it up.

wow! I have been without internet for a few days so this is my first chance to revisit. I still have to read through the latest responses. There were so manywell thought out opinions in the first few pages, Iwas surprised to see so many more posts. I will definitely read them all later :)

As to what has happened:

Mama was a great broody and hatched out her single chick. They got stuck in the fountain so my friend put her legs through a pair of jeans so she couldnt hurt her and rescued them out. However, in the meantime some construction started in between the 2 properties, compplete with that black fencing stuff. She couldnt get back home. My neighbor called me and I told her I couldn't take her, (biosecurity) and within the hour she made contact with the owners and they came and got her.

Happy ending!

Back
Top Bottom