is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

YEAH!!! I'm so glad that it turned out that way!!
celebrate.gif

and since I posted this last....she has been back again, and just hatched out 8 babies 2 days ago. She is a MACHINE! Glad I didn't take her though...so many illnesses out there :/

Another update...a family dollar was erected since she started sitting her eggs, so now she has to pass through a parking lot. Next time, there will be actual cars in the parking lot-I hope she stays safe
fl.gif

i know from a frind of mine who lives in florida that wild chickens are considered a nusance as there like going out of controll so I dont know if you near that part but from what she told me they are sticked about chickens being keep under control so if thats the case you may want to call animal controll just to keep that one chicken safe cuz what i see happening is flat chicken with tire marks.

I have so enjoyed this forum! Hi Im new so I hope nobody minds me joining the discussion. I'm from a small town in South Africa. Since Apartheid was abolished we have undergone many changes in our country. One of them is traditional african families buying houses in traditionally white neighbourhoods. Along with the family often comes traditional african chickens. they are kept soley for meat and are slaughtered in the yards which has been a bit difficult for me. I know where chicken meat comes from but a large pile of feathers and a bloody tree stump are upsetting. Anyway "zulu" chickens are huge! they have enormously long legs so there is no chance catching them. Even the stray dogs have had no luck! They are beautiful and come in a large variety of speckled patterns. We have a particular flock or "gang" that roam the entire neighbourhood even the shopping centre parking lot. there are babies in all the bushes! They used to go home at night but now don't bother. My point here is...if you can catch one you deserve to keep it! next time i go to the shops i take take a pic

Last edited:
I have so enjoyed this forum! Hi Im new so I hope nobody minds me joining the discussion. I'm from a small town in South Africa. Since Apartheid was abolished we have undergone many changes in our country. One of them is traditional african families buying houses in traditionally white neighbourhoods. Along with the family often comes traditional african chickens. they are kept soley for meat and are slaughtered in the yards which has been a bit difficult for me. I know where chicken meat comes from but a large pile of feathers and a bloody tree stump are upsetting. Anyway "zulu" chickens are huge! they have enormously long legs so there is no chance catching them. Even the stray dogs have had no luck! They are beautiful and come in a large variety of speckled patterns. We have a particular flock or "gang" that roam the entire neighbourhood even the shopping centre parking lot. there are babies in all the bushes! They used to go home at night but now don't bother. My point here is...if you can catch one you deserve to keep it! next time i go to the shops i take take a pic
I would love to see a picture (or several)! I have never seen a Zulu chicken, but now I am picturing these long-legged, clever birds hanging out in shopping areas and suburban neighborhoods. Fun images!

These are the critters! There lots of them. They live on scraps of food. I don not know where they find water. They have big clutches of babies. I had to work hard to get this pic...they run like the wind. And I had to ignore the weird glances i was getting from my fellow shoppers. Look at those legs. They look like beep beep the road runner. Ive never eaten one but they look like the meat might be quite tough!

Back
Top Bottom