Is this too fine to put in our coops?

Gotalotofpetstoo

Songster
Jan 11, 2023
Western NC
This posting just came up on our local marketplace and I'm wondering if this is too fine to use in our coops? We normally use shavings from tractor supply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225-125141.png
    Screenshot_20231225-125141.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20231225-125208.png
    Screenshot_20231225-125208.png
    418.4 KB · Views: 29
I'd say highly questionable. I'd only take them if you have a way to dispose of them if they didn't work.

I once took a load of larger-size saw dust from a wood worker. I normally use the commercial shavings as well. The saw dust caked up and didn't work well at all.

The types of wood are okay. Mostly I avoid cedar due to the volatile oils. It is the size that concerns me.

This posting just came up on our local marketplace and I'm wondering if this is too fine to use in our coops? We normally use shavings from tractor supply.
I would not use. If it is not from a regulated seller or from someone you trust with the chickens lives then don't use it. They may have listed SOME of the trees that are in there but may have forgotten that the have cedar in there too. Cedar is toxic to chickens and may kill them.

Pellet bedding is basically saw dust and many people use those. Using this depends how you are using it. If it’s their main bedding I’d say no, but in a big deep litter run that’s basically a compost pile with all sorts of different materials mixed up, I’d probably go for it.

It would probably work out fine but for $5 a barrel it's about the same cost as a bale of pine flakes. A 55gal barrel might seem larger but once a bale is open it expands greatly.

Back
Top Bottom