Is this what they mean by a "favorite nest box"? :)

I have six hens about to start laying. I've been using the nesting boxes as storage and will be getting them ready this weekend. I havefourboxes but thought I'd only open up two for laying. Doypu think that's enough space for six hens or should I open all 4?

Great pics! Thanks for the laugh today. I needed it! My four girls just started laying and they fight and fight over one of two boxes. Reminds me of my own childhood with three sisters, heh. There most certainly WAS a BEST Barbie! :-D

Wow, never had that happen to me, and just OMG that is so funny, chickens do not get very smart, but I do love mine.
love.gif
lau.gif

I have 2 boxes for 7 girls ... they never used the 3rd one, so it's storage now. Anyway, last weekend one was in a nest box, and another was standing at the entrance staring at her. She wanted in!! The other box was unoccupied, of course, silly chicken. While she was standing there with her back to me, her egg fell out onto the 4 inch ledge. She continued to stand there, so I left without disturbing her or the egg. When I came back later, I'd found that she *somehow* got her egg in the box which meant she got it up and over a 2-3 inch lip. Darned if I know how.
idunno.gif

I'm busting a gut here laughing!
lau.gif
I turned my laptop camera on just in time to see an orpington fluffy butt sticking out of the second nest box of two. I thought I was going to see the egg come out! Then she wobbled around, and here comes Fernie, my barred rock, out from behind her!
ep.gif
Fernie wasn't about to be outdone, so she stradled Buffy for a while!
smack.gif
She finally managed to wedge in behind Buffy again, and Buffy just about went out on the floor, but hung onto the edge of the nest box with her front claws. Then she got a better footing and back into the box! She manged to SQUEEEEEEEZE back behind Fernie again, and then they were side by side, Buffy facing forward and Fernie facing the back. Then I heard a "thud" and Buffy stood up and looked between her legs, like she always does when she's just dropped her egg. She sat there a bit with her beak open wide, panting, then left the nest. Then Fernie pushed Buffy's egg aside and turned around, and I heard a second "THUD" and I saw two eggs rolling around! Meanwhile, the other perfectly good nest box sat there empty! I think this was a matter of principle. Buffy was in that next box earlier, then Hubby went out and put peas and corn in their dish in the run. Buffy knew if she didn't get out there, the other three wouldn't leave her any goodies, so she abandoned the nest just long enough to get her share. Then Fernie ran into the coop and took her spot! LOL!!!! Buffy must've thought, "Oh no ya don't! That's MY spot today!"
tongue.gif
Usually they'll each be on a separate nest at the same time since they're BFFs. I don't know how they even got in there both at once, let alone get down to business all crowded in there! Well, now I know the next boxes are large enough! LOL!!! I wonder what would happen if one were broody???
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom