Isaac, My 5 Year Old Delaware Rooster....Old Age is Closing In On The Big Guy (Long Story)

The reason I feed 16% Layer is that it's what I can afford on our pension The other stuff is way more expensive, like $5 per 50 lb higher, no matter what you get, either grower or Flock Raiser (which I actually don't care for, being vegetarian crap). I can't get pelleted grower, only powdery crumbles. The last bag I got was full of bugs because apparently, no one around here buys it and it was sitting too long so I took it back to the store. Like I said, NO roosters have ever had this issue here. I believe it's really his genetics, IF gout is what is the issue. If it's poor circulation combined with arthritis, no feed will fix that. I have a problem finding feed at all that isn't starter/grower or layer pellets. And I honestly don't believe I can afford $20 /bag for feeding all these birds. I wish I could.

If he was living by himself, like Zane did, I could feed him only Knockout, the 11 grain scratch mix. Zane lived on that himself. It's 12% protein. The feet almost look like some frostbite in places, but he doesn't even have a frostbitten comb, except maybe some minor stuff on the back blade that is very, very minor.

Thanks, Robin. Doing everything we can do.
I know you are.
hugs.gif

Do you have a picture of his feet?
I do have some from today, but I'd rather not post them in this thread, at least not now. I emailed them to my friend who is helping me with this one. This thread is not really for diagnosis or I'd have put it in Emergencies. It's more for telling Isaac's story, which I'm afraid may be coming to its conclusion in the not too distant future.

i hope he gets better soon he look like a nice rooster
hugs.gif

Thank you. Welcome to BYC!

Thanks, Kel. He wasn't handled much as a youngster because I was picking from a group of males, growing them out and didn't want to become attached to one I wasn't going to keep. He really didn't become my close buddy until later on. Now, he's very attached to me, much more so than Tom, though he seems to be fond of Tom as well. It's a truly touching moment when a rooster looks up into your eyes, straight into your eyes from 2" away, nose to beak, and seems to be yearning to communicate something. He has the kindest, softest expression when he looks into my face. I wish I could read his mind. He is really one of the smartest roosters I've ever owned and I've had a few who were quite special.

One of my Swedish Flower cockerels looks at me like that, even at his young age - the same kind of ESP look that my Cattle Dog gives me at times. I am afraid when in comes time to pick a flock master there will be a favorite.

Cyn, I hope that your roo is better. It is so hard to lose the ones we have raised from eggs or young chicks. I get so attached. Right now I have a Dell. from Kathy. I am looking forward with this one. He is less than a yr. old but is really nice so far. A good roo who's also good with his hens are rare. So far he is gentle with his hens . To me that is vey important. I have 4 hens of the same line also. Maybe later if you want them you could have some of the eggs. I know you do not take live birds from anywhere and understand why. I am npip and A1 tested clean this month.
Again I sure hope he is better. Thank you for getting me started in Chicks when I first got them from you. I will be back in Franklin later. I am on the coast of NC for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom