Isaac, My 5 Year Old Delaware Rooster....Old Age is Closing In On The Big Guy (Long Story)

Thank you, Gloria Jean, I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to probably get some more Stukel Rocks, some old line RIRs and some Brahmas next time I add to the flock, other than an egg or three under the occasional broody hen. You're a sweetheart!

Remember when I said that it looked almost like frostbite in places back on post #8? It didn't make sense that he could have it, though my friend mentioned that when we spoke on the phone, because no one else had it and Ike's comb was okay. Well, I sent photos to my friend in south GA and after seeing good clear pictures of Ike's feet (picture is worth 1000 words) his consensus is that because of his suspected bad circulation in the legs at his age (he does have arthritis in his hock joints, I know that already, especially the right one), he said it appears not to be gout but to be frostbite. Surprises me because no one else in the coop had frostbite and Isaac's comb isn't even really affected *he had a black area on the back of the blade but after rubbing vaseline with cocoa butter on it, it seems back to red again*, but because of the pain in his legs, he's been laying on the floor, which is naturally much colder. I've never had a bird with frostbitten feet, first time for me.

My coop is raised off the ground so winds howl under the floor; in spite of the shavings, it could have been frigid at floor level. We had a couple of nights at 1* with windchills at -15*, which is way below what any of my birds have experienced. Naturally, they were inside for a couple of days until that bad stuff passed by. No one else appears to have frostbite, other than maybe a tiny spot on the back of Rex's comb. We kill ourselves keeping the coops clean and dry inside, but we can't control the weather and the coops are not heated at all, only a couple of those dim red 75w reptile bulbs for heat spots, one over where Ike's usual roost spot was.

He has one toe that is really bad, white and stiff from the last joint to the nail. Unfortunately, it's the middle toe and he may lose that one, or part of it. I'm not sure what will happen with his feet. He's crowing and his poop is super healthy and solid and he's having no trouble standing and walking around in there so I guess I need to get him back with his flock before Rex thinks they're all his and challenges his daddy. But, Ike cannot go out in cold or cold/damp weather until these feet are healed or whatever is going to happen with them happens.
ETA: Today, his left foot appears MUCH improved and the toes that are not bandaged on the right also seem much better. We have one bad toe bandaged with antibiotic ointment on it. That one is the one I'm worried he may lose, which unfortunately, is a middle toe. Otherwise, he's crowing, seems more energetic and happy and wants out.

We let him out in the yard briefly since it's warmer (mid to upper 40's and sunny and dry), then to test the waters, let out the main flock. What I feared would happen, did. Rex challenged him and they started fighting. Isaac plainly cannot do that with his compromised feet and his lessened breathing capacity he's had for the last couple of years since a fungal lung infection over a very bad summer. If we had not separated them, Isaac would have probably just keeled over dead right then and there. We have a solution for it for when Ike goes back, but for now, he still has to be treated daily with epsom salts soaks and ointment until his feet are healed. Then off to Home Depot or Lowes for fencing, posts and wood to build a new ramp and pop door. Thankfully, the coop is not difficult to divide up and we already have a door for the doorway between the original part and the addition, just have to reattach it and add a latch.

I'll do what I can to make the last part of his life a good one. He's a treasure and my good buddy. I'll give Rex the Barred Rocks since Isaac hates them anyway and Ike can have the older hens and the EEs and Tiny, which are his favorites and they love him as well. I think Deacon can maybe stay there with Isaac; the other males can stay on Rex's side.

This makes what happened with his son still a mystery but since his owner also lives in the mountains not far from me and I don't know her coop setup, perhaps he got frostbite at some point as well, hard to say. I'm trying to contact her to see what her vet said about it.

Last edited:
The offer stands with the dells if you change your mind. I so hate to lose any of them. I keep getting more from hatching the eggs mostly to prevent disease. This yr. I will try for some more dells. and a dellawagger. I have two wheaten ameracuanas so I will have a few mixed with my Dels. My hb keeps saying I am getting too many. I have 20 hens and one roo. Last yr. I tried the putting of water bottles in my hatcher to prevent loss of heat if I had power outage. Yuck!! I lost a whole group of faverolles. Only one hatched. I won't do that again. I lost them all the last wk. The power had not gone off. I now have a separate thermometer to drop into the hatcher to make sure the temps and humidity are accurate. I can barely wait till March when I will be back home and can hatch chicks. Good luck with your fellow. I too have coops now up off the ground. I guess when I stay winters again that if it gets too cold a bit of heat would be nice for the older hens. I still have my hen that was a mix from joletabey from your hens and a 1/2 English male. She is big fluffy and blue. I will have to ck for her age. I hope all are doing better. Do any of your other flock members have any trouble with the cold.

No one here seems to have much trouble with the cold except the ones with arthritis, like 7 year old Amanda, who walks stiff legged. She still lays. This was an unsually cold spell, even for us, though.

I think roosters have trouble with leg injuries and resulting arthritis from those just because of the way they maneuver, fast turns, jumping down and turning immediately upon hitting the ground when they are running to stop fights (or get into them). Isaac is just getting old and suffering things we all do as we age, which sometimes result in secondary issues as well.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all that! I will get some castor oil next trip out and give it a try. Certainly can't hurt! I appreciate your input so much, I can't tell you. Even if the toes have some frostbite, maybe he'll have some relief from arthritis at least. I have to mess with his feet and legs every day anyhow.
Cyn, for what it's worth - my little hen Maragaret had frost bite and lost all of her toes on one foot, and a good amount of them on the other. She jumped in the water dish and it was a very cold day. I didn't have a single case of frost bite on the combs that year either. I wouldn't have known what was going on if I didn't see her fall in the water myself. She was roosting on the edge of the dish. Anyway...

I helped sooth the pain with coconut oil. It was really swollen for a few days and she was in a lot of discomfort. After the swelling subsided her feet turned black and shriveled up. After a couple months it fell off. She had to learn to walk differently, but she did. You can see her video on my coop page.

Cyn, for what it's worth - my little hen Maragaret had frost bite and lost all of her toes on one foot, and a good amount of them on the other. She jumped in the water dish and it was a very cold day. I didn't have a single case of frost bite on the combs that year either. I wouldn't have known what was going on if I didn't see her fall in the water myself. She was roosting on the edge of the dish. Anyway...

I helped sooth the pain with coconut oil. It was really swollen for a few days and she was in a lot of discomfort. After the swelling subsided her feet turned black and shriveled up. After a couple months it fell off. She had to learn to walk differently, but she did. You can see her video on my coop page.

I watched her video. What a plucky little hen! Thank you for that. I used to have a hen named Margaret, too. Maybe I'll have to reuse that name some day in honor of both of them.

Aw, what a big, sweet rooster Issac is. I'm sorry you all are going through this. I have a big 5 year old Buff Orpington with arthritic legs who is inside because he just can't handle the cold. I'll have to try the castor oil, too.

Aw, what a big, sweet rooster Issac is. I'm sorry you all are going through this. I have a big 5 year old Buff Orpington with arthritic legs who is inside because he just can't handle the cold. I'll have to try the castor oil, too.

At least Isaac's story may help someone else, then, and he's not alone with this stuff.

We have decided to make the main coop back into two coops, easy to do since it was an 8x8 that we added 12' to. We have put up the door again between the two sides and decided who will be with which rooster. The next steps will be to divide the back pen and cut a pop door in the back of the addition, which only had a pop door in the front from when the small pens were on that side. Will also have to add a ramp. Then we are good to go, that is after DH gets over falling on his back out in the yard and wrenching everything from head to toe.
hmm.png

The new groups will be this way:

Isaac's Group
Deacon- he is still scared of Ike so he will be unlikely to challenge him. He ran in fear today when they were face to face.
June, Ike's fav hen, an EE
Georgie, Delaware
Ellie, Delaware
Neela, Blue Rock
Alice, Blue Rock
Tiny, Amera-EE-Sumatra & Deacon's mother
Emily, Black Rock, who has some tendon issues in one leg and doesn't do well being jumped by all the males.
Maretta, EE/Ameraucana, who looks very much like June and is another fav of Isaac

Rex's Group
Scout, Del x EE cockerel
Gabriel Del x BLRW/Amera cockerel (trying to rehome him, though he looks just like Isaac at that age)
Rita, BLRW x Ameraucana-she raised Rex as her own, but he is the son of big Ida and Isaac
Ida, Stukel BR hen
Wynette, Stukel BR
Dottie, Stukel BR
Gloria Jean, Splash Rock
Druscilla, Stukel line BR hen- daughter of Dottie with the late Stukel male, the original Rex
Raven, Tiny's daughter
Delia, Dellie x BR pullet
Serena, Rita's bio daughter with Isaac, looks like pure Delaware

The last three, plus Rex, Scout and Gabriel are all close to the same age so that's why I left them with Rex. This means Ike and Deacon have 8 hens, mostly older, including the two Del hens who were hatched with him 5 years ago. Rex has 9 hens and only Rita is 4 years old. The Stukel Rock hens and Gloria Jean are 3 years old, Dru is a year old.

gig.gif
I had forgotten you named a hen for me. What is she? I'll tell you my memory is going bad. Ugh, they are saying we are in for another polar vortex coming our way. More cold, cold weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom