Isbar thread

Pics
Do not use with the activator, it makes is toxic unless you are using a respirator. That's a bit too much for home use, IMO.
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Cide-Inte...?ie=UTF8&qid=1372976261&sr=8-1&keywords=oxine

i can see how it would be useful in large poultry operations, to keep the watering lines clean and clear -- but for an ordinary backyard coop, is this really necessary? my chickens get my well water (same that i drink myself), and i change it often & add ACV -- adding a biocide seems like overkill, or am i missing something? (especially considering that my chickens would really rather drink out of mud puddles if given the chance!)

I personally don't use it in my waterers, only for disinfecting hatching equipment and in the water in my incubators/hatchers. They are the perfect environment for growing bacteria otherwise.

I've actually also been experimenting with curing a case of nail fungus with it. If you've ever had a nail fungus, doctor's basically say there is nothing they can do without surgically removing the entire nail. I've been treating with the Oxine dilute solution and I seem to be getting an improvement.

Hey hey!! just checked my e-mail- there's an update from the OSU lab on the Isbar chicks!! It is a little weird that they send a new report at each step? Again it says "Final bacteriology is pending" but they did state that E coli appears to be the main suspect.

"Comments (July 5, 2013): Bacteriology reports that both bacteria recovered from
this case are identified as E. coli. Yolk sac infection and subsequent septicemia
remains teh apparent cause of death. It is unclear why only this breed of
chickens seem to be affected. These bacteria may be trasmitted from infected
hens, or be the result of egg contamination. Attempts to mildly disinfect eggs
prior to incubation may be beneficial."

But as the eggs are laid in a clean box, stored in a disinfected tray, and incubated in a disinfected tray I'm not sure if disinfecting the eggs with Oxine will be enough? I guess I will find out in about 5-6 weeks. I was planning to start disinfecting the eggs anyway. I am planning on 1/2 tsp to 2 quarts of water, soak for 20 minutes, then lay on a towel to dry. Does this sound adequate to those of you who disinfect your eggs? Do I use warm water or cold?

Any way to treat the adults, starting with the Litter Life to treat the coop and run?

As I noticed a difference in being able to save a few chicks using Colloidal Silver I will continue to use it, at least adding to their water daily.

i can see how it would be useful in large poultry operations, to keep the watering lines clean and clear -- but for an ordinary backyard coop, is this really necessary? my chickens get my well water (same that i drink myself), and i change it often & add ACV -- adding a biocide seems like overkill, or am i missing something? (especially considering that my chickens would really rather drink out of mud puddles if given the chance!)

If you read the latest report from "lonnyandrinda", you can see the benefits of having the Oxine on hand.....there are many bacteria that are very hard to kill. You certainly do not have to use it. It is just what I prefer to use to avoid any latent bacterial problems. It takes very, viery little to be effective in backyard poultry waterers.

Angela

Hey hey!! just checked my e-mail- there's an update from the OSU lab on the Isbar chicks!! It is a little weird that they send a new report at each step? Again it says "Final bacteriology is pending" but they did state that E coli appears to be the main suspect.

"Comments (July 5, 2013): Bacteriology reports that both bacteria recovered from
this case are identified as E. coli. Yolk sac infection and subsequent septicemia
remains teh apparent cause of death. It is unclear why only this breed of
chickens seem to be affected. These bacteria may be trasmitted from infected
hens, or be the result of egg contamination. Attempts to mildly disinfect eggs
prior to incubation may be beneficial."

But as the eggs are laid in a clean box, stored in a disinfected tray, and incubated in a disinfected tray I'm not sure if disinfecting the eggs with Oxine will be enough? I guess I will find out in about 5-6 weeks. I was planning to start disinfecting the eggs anyway. I am planning on 1/2 tsp to 2 quarts of water, soak for 20 minutes, then lay on a towel to dry. Does this sound adequate to those of you who disinfect your eggs? Do I use warm water or cold?

Any way to treat the adults, starting with the Litter Life to treat the coop and run?

As I noticed a difference in being able to save a few chicks using Colloidal Silver I will continue to use it, at least adding to their water daily.
This looks like good news. You might want to check into d-mannose. It is the refined sugar from cranberry that helps with UTI's and has a strong affinity for e. coli. My daughter was VERY susceptible to UTIs when she was younger and I always kept it on hand. I can't see that there would be a problem adding it to the chicks/hens water or feed.

Last edited:
My Isbars all live in with my egg flock (only white and brown layers in there and no other roos). I thought they were all on strike, hadn't gotten an egg in days. We've been having this terrible heat wave all week.

Last night I happened to look in the corner of the coop on the floor and there were a pile of 8 green eggs. Apparently they just didn't want to use the nest box with all the broodies.

Somehow those eggs found their way into my incubator last night
hide.gif

My Isbars all live in with my egg flock (only white and brown layers in there and no other roos). I thought they were all on strike, hadn't gotten an egg in days. We've been having this terrible heat wave all week.

Last night I happened to look in the corner of the coop on the floor and there were a pile of 8 green eggs. Apparently they just didn't want to use the nest box with all the broodies.

Somehow those eggs found their way into my incubator last night
hide.gif

That's great news!!! Good luck with you hatch.
My Isbar hen lays in different places every few days it seems. She just started laying about 3 weeks ago....

This looks like good news. You might want to check into d-mannose. It is the refined sugar from cranberry that helps with UTI's and has a strong affinity for e. coli. My daughter was VERY susceptible to UTIs when she was younger and I always kept it on hand. I can't see that there would be a problem adding it to the chicks/hens water or feed.

Very interesting! I will look it up. Thanks for the tip!

Very interesting! I will look it up. Thanks for the tip!

Well, I lost two of my Isbar chicks so far and the third is not looking good. I am trying Colloidal silver drops but it may be too late. I am brooding 25 chicks and only losing the Isbars. Not sure why. Your lab reports are interesting - sounds like the same problem as mine cheep loudly and then fade away. I hope you find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom