It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Have not read the whole thread, so maybe there are lots of veg soup recipes in here already. But here's mine.

KITCHEN SINK VEGGIE SOUP
In a Dutch oven start with a couple Tbsp butter (not margarine) and a couple Tbsp olive oil. Heat to shimmering and add:
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c celery, diced (2 stalks?)
1/2 c carrots, diced
Add a pinch of salt and a couple cranks of pepper, and saute till onion is transparent and carrots and celery are starting to get tender.
Add 2 qt liquid. I use two boxes of vegetable broth, but chicken or beef broth will also work, and you can choose a low sodium option. Bring to a boil.
Add 2 potatoes, peeled, diced and soaked a few minutes in cold water.* Bring back to a boil, taste and add salt as needed (potatoes need salt!). Reduce heat, cover and simmer till potatoes are ALMOST tender.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 c each:
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Add:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. Quick Barley
Adjust seasonings to taste
Simmer 10 to 15 minutes to let barley cook and thicken soup.

(Diabetic alternative: omit corn and potato. Still delicious!)

You may notice there are not a lot of herbs or seasonings in this recipe. I suggest you try it as written first, then adapt it to your own taste the second time you make it, if you desire. We've found that the vegetables provide a complexity and depth of flavor that stands well on its own.

Bon appetít!

*Helps rinse off some of the starch.

Here is my contribution. I used cod, shrimp and scallops. Next time I will add some clams w/ juice. it is a little bit time consuming, but it is good.

Thick and Creamy Seafood Chowder

Vegetables:
  • 2 tablespoon (29.57 g) butter
  • 1 small (1 small) onion, diced
  • 3 ribs (3 ribs) celery , diced
  • 4 cups (600 ml) potato, such as Russet, peeled and diced
  • Water, to cover
Poaching Liquid:
  • 2/3 lb (302.39 g) sole filet, cubed (or fish of your choice)
  • 2/3 lb (302.39 g) scallops, whole (or shrimp, lobster etc.)
  • 4 cups (1000 ml) water
  • 1 (1 ) bay leaf
  • 1 /4 medium onion
Soup:
  • 1/4 cup (56.75 g) butter
  • 1/2 cup (62.5 g) all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup (178.5 ml) heavy, whipping cream, 35% b.f. *see Notes below
  • 1 pinch (1 pinch) nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cook the vegetables: Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed, large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the celery and cook, stirring for 8-10 minutes. Add the potatoes. Add enough water to the pot to just cover the vegetables with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender but not too soft, about 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of the dice). Remove from heat.

Poaching Liquid: In a second pot, heat the 4 cups of water with a bay leaf and the 1/4 onion until just before boiling. Maintain temperature just below boiling and add the sole and scallops. Cover and cook just until seafood is opaque and tender. Remove fish and and scallops to a bowl with a slotted spoon or strainer, reserving the poaching liquid for your stock. Discard the bay leaf and quartered onion.

Soup: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, stirring to make a smooth paste. Cook for about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the reserved poaching liquid until you have a smooth mixture. Cook until it begins to thicken. Return the pot with the potatoes to medium heat. Slowly add the the butter/flour/poaching liquid mixture to the pot with the potatoes. Add the fish and scallops. Continue cooking and stirring until chowder thickens. Add the cream and stir until heated through, but do not boil. Season with a pinch of nutmeg and a generous amount of salt and black pepper, to taste.

Notes

Heavy cream is recommended for the creamiest chowder. If you don't have or don't want to use heavy cream, you can use a light cream. Simply mix it with 1 Tbsp cornstarch before adding to the soup.

Have not read the whole thread, so maybe there are lots of veg soup recipes in here already. But here's mine.

KITCHEN SINK VEGGIE SOUP
In a Dutch oven start with a couple Tbsp butter (not margarine) and a couple Tbsp olive oil. Heat to shimmering and add:
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c celery, diced (2 stalks?)
1/2 c carrots, diced
Add a pinch of salt and a couple cranks of pepper, and saute till onion is transparent and carrots and celery are starting to get tender.
Add 2 qt liquid. I use two boxes of vegetable broth, but chicken or beef broth will also work, and you can choose a low sodium option. Bring to a boil.
Add 2 potatoes, peeled, diced and soaked a few minutes in cold water.* Bring back to a boil, taste and add salt as needed (potatoes need salt!). Reduce heat, cover and simmer till potatoes are ALMOST tender.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 c each:
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Add:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. Quick Barley
Adjust seasonings to taste
Simmer 10 to 15 minutes to let barley cook and thicken soup.

(Diabetic alternative: omit corn and potato. Still delicious!)

You may notice there are not a lot of herbs or seasonings in this recipe. I suggest you try it as written first, then adapt it to your own taste the second time you make it, if you desire. We've found that the vegetables provide a complexity and depth of flavor that stands well on its own.

Bon appetít!

*Helps rinse off some of the starch.
I'm not a big soup cooker. I'll eat it when my wife cooks it she loves especially to cook soups I'm passing it to her we'll be trying this soon

I'm not a big soup cooker. I'll eat it when my wife cooks it she loves especially to cook soups I'm passing it to her we'll be trying this soon
Thanks, enjoy! This makes a pretty good sized batch. If it's just the two of you, you might want to share. That's what I did. There's an older single fella at our church that doesn't cook much for himself. He was happy to get a couple of quart jars of this.

Back
Top Bottom