Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

Yeah I dose the GS abouttwice a year. I am not as scientific as most. I have the paste/white cream version and just touch a cracker to the end and get about a sweet peas worth on the cracker. throw it up and he about swallows it whole. The smaller dogs I just touch the tip to a cracker and the have done well for alot of years.

Reviving this thread because I didn't find an answer to : "what about the pour on?"

It's hard enough to get an accurate dose with injectables that you can measure with a syringe.

With a pour on , your just guessing.

Stick to oral heartworm medications for the dogs​

I can not pull the ivermectin from the bottle with a 30 unit, it just does not work.

It sounds like you have it down but in case it would be at all useful to you, you can pull 30units at once. I assume it would be the same as pulling from a multi dose bottle of meds for people. As a nurse I do this a fair amount! All you have to do, is with your sterile needle (use an alcohol pad to wipe the rubber stopper on the top of the bottle), before inserting the needle into the bottle , pull the plunger so that it is the amount of the med you want( and is now filled with air) Then place your needle into the bottle of ivermectin, depress the plunger so that the air is released into the bottle, you will then be able to pull out the same amount of med as air you put in. Its actually a good idea to do it even when only taking out 1ml or so at a time.​

I have heard that safe guard paste is also able to be used on dogs is this true. I have 6 dogs and would love to use this as a wormer and where can I find a de-wormer that kills the worms they get from flees I have a hard time with flees it does not seem any of those pour on works for any of my dogs I have to get a pill that cost $14 for a pill for each dog once a month it adds up does anyone have a product that works for flees that won't break the bank,

Quote:
It sounds like you have it down but in case it would be at all useful to you, you can pull 30units at once. I assume it would be the same as pulling from a multi dose bottle of meds for people. As a nurse I do this a fair amount! All you have to do, is with your sterile needle (use an alcohol pad to wipe the rubber stopper on the top of the bottle), before inserting the needle into the bottle , pull the plunger so that it is the amount of the med you want( and is now filled with air) Then place your needle into the bottle of ivermectin, depress the plunger so that the air is released into the bottle, you will then be able to pull out the same amount of med as air you put in. Its actually a good idea to do it even when only taking out 1ml or so at a time.

the problem is the needle on the 30, 50, and even 100 unit syringe. the needles on every diabetic syringe wont draw on the bottle properly. the needle on the 3 cc syringes are a much higher gage and pull it perfectly from the noromectin bottle. Try to pull 30 units using a diabetic syringe it will take an hour if you can even do it. To even try, can damage the rubber as you really have to push. The needles on the unit syringes are just too fine for the bottles of Noromectin.
I have zero problem using the 30 unit once the med is in the ramican. It draws perfectly. I always have to toss what is left from the 3 cc's i pull , but i would rather waste a lil as I never use the whole bottle before expiration anyway. On that same idea I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I have zero problem pulling my insulin from the bottle using a 30 unit syringe. the insulin topper is made for the unit syringe, where the Noromectin bottle is not. hugs Donna from Branson

Quote:
I have never used paste, if you could get the absolute correct dosage and have a way to measure it to a tee it might be safe enough. My dogs dont have fleas, but I homed a dog with a lady 2 years ago and her dog does have fleas despite the monthly oral dosing of ivermecton.

Quote:
bad idea to start on HW prev. unless you get an all clear from a blood test FIRST. if you do the ivermecton and your dog HAS HW you will likely kill your dog. The cure for HW is very sad .................... arsenic poison is the cure followed by complete cage rest for a month, and your dog could still die. It is much better to do the preventative. I do have one dog that has a mild reaction to the ivermectin so we give him a 25 mg benadryl (sp) 30 min before he gets his monthly dose.
Some breeds can have deadly side effects from ivermectin (collies, herding type dogs) There is a test now available to see if your dog can take it.

Donna In Branson

her dog does have fleas despite the monthly oral dosing of ivermecton.

Ivermectin does not treat fleas except at too high of dose to be considered safe especially for repeated use.​

Back
Top Bottom