Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

The puppy looks like it will make it. This particular client was not an idiot and has been raising dogs for a long time. She just got confused and made a mistake it could happen to anyone, just want everyone to be aware that it is not fool proof. There is a reason for all those "silly" warnings on everything we buy these days (like on the side of any 5gal. bucket) someone somewhere has made that mistake.

I know a lot of people that use Ivomec and dose it for their dogs themselves, but most these people I know from showing my dogs. We do it as well. We also give all our own vaccines, other than rabies. The dogs go into the vet for their yearly HW test and rabies vaccine, and that is all, unless an emergency pops up. We use fenbendazole and diatomaceous earth to keep up with intestinal parasites. My dogs are happy and healthy.

That said, I would NEVER recommend someone that does not know what they are doing to do this, as it can be very dangerous.

And thats why making things idiot friendly is so important.

Educating them is what's important.

Saying they aren't smart enough to do it without a Vet is just condescending.

It's not brain surgery​

Just so I'm clear, veterinarians who have been approved by the state they practice in should not be making recomendations on what medications are right for a specific animal and you should follow guidelines set fourth by people who have no proof of knowing anything about what they are recomending.
idunno.gif

Quote:
This is silly. Who said Vet's shouldn't be telling people what meds to use? It's also true that farmers, ranchers and other more animal minded folks often do a great job at health care on their own animals. I don't think anyone is doubting the usefulness of a good Veterinarian -- but there are times, and has been times --for centuries-- when people found something good that worked and used it. Whats the big deal?

As far as proof..well LOL when I go to the Vet or get a tip for animal care for my animal I don't necessarily have "proof" that what they tell me to do or give the animal will work do I? Its not like everything we get from a Vet is given to us with a free demonstration that the medication will be effective OR the Vet has any real experience with my animals condition. So I guess its up to the individual to think for themselves.

Just so I'm clear, veterinarians who have been approved by the state they practice in should not be making recomendations on what medications are right for a specific animal and you should follow guidelines set fourth by people who have no proof of knowing anything about what they are recomending

No one said that at all, although I've known some Vets that shouldn't be making recommendations about many things

There's lots of proof Ivomec is a safe and reliable drug for many species and many problems.
There has been no proof shown that the doses recommended are NOT safe and effective .

Your complaint is not that the information is inaccurate, but that , to paraphrase, people aren't smart enough to do it themselves, and should pay you to do it for them

People need to do their own research and LEARN how to do things themselves so they dont' have to rely on Vets who think they know more about everything just because they know more about SOME things.​

First I do not recommend giving Ivermectin to your dogs. The only reason I do is I don't know any better. 15 years ago we were still treating collies with heartguard and it was expensive. I switched to Ivermectin for all of my Border Collies. Evidently they didn't know any better, because they do not have heartworms and they are not dead or blind. They are Healthy and Happy Dogs in the twilight of their life.

There is now a DNA test to see if Ivermectin will harm your dog. None of the drug companies want you to use it because it cuts into their profit bigtime. I go through a $29 bottle every three years or so. My dogs weigh about 50 lbs so I give them********* .5 CC of 1% I said 1% Ivermectin******** did you get that!! Ivermectin does not know that your pet is a dog, pig, cow or horse. it just knows what concentration it is remember 1%.

If you can't read well or do math please do not give your dogs Ivermectin. Get your dog tested and if you are stupid like me buy it at the Farm and Ranch supply like Noromectin 1% for cattle and swine. Please consider that the death rate in dogs for Ivermectin at proper doses is 10 times less than having your dogs treated for adult heart worms. Probably 100 times less than untreated heartworms.

I hope this puts a little perspective on death rate from Ivermectin versus treating for adult heart worms. A little math is a good thing.

PS I am not a veterinarian nor do I play one on TV. I do not stay at the Holiday Inn and I do not have any money your lawyer can find so don't bother trying to sue me!

PPS 1CC=1ML

.1 CC per 10 pounds

I treat my dogs by mixing .5 cc with 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of olive oil mixed well and added to their dog food but I don't know better and neither do my dogs. My Border Collies are 15 years old and probably run 10 miles a day in the back yard.

Example a fifty pound dog gets .5 cc or ml per month for heartworm prevention. If you don't have a calculator don't self treat your dog.
All collies should be DNA tested before recieving Ivermectin.

Maybe I was lucky, your mileage may vary.

Dog and Animal Lover
old.gif

Krury

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom