Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

I have been using it for mange, heart worm an intestinal worms for a long time an have yet to see any effect on fleas. Can it kill fleas, sure I would guess it would at a high enough dose given daily like the dose given for mange, but giving that dose over an over to keep it in the system just seems crazy to me.
Maybe the kind you buy is not the same as here. I never said to dose the dog over and over again - that is crazy. It will not kill tapeworms - so you need to use something else if you dog has them.

We just give one dose on the back of the neck every 6 weeks or so. Its stops any parasites getting to be a problem The dose is the same for worms, fleas etc.

If your place is infested with fleas already, then it will only kill the fleas on the dog for a few weeks, then the fleas that were living in you house will go back onto the dog. You need to use flea control powder on the carpets and furniture, also wash pet bedding in hot water. Do this together with the spot on treatment and after a few weeks the fleas will have gone. Just takes time to break the life cycle of the fleas.

Ivermectin goes threw a dogs system in about 24 hours. To kill mange it takes a dose a day for up to 5 days. An thats at around 8 to 10 times the approved oral dose every day. We are talking kidney damage levels or even death in some breeds.

To kill fleas you would have to do the same every 2 weeks or never let the dog go outside.

Now you may be right that you are using something other than what I am useing. I use 1% injectable given orally. Its the only thing I have ever known any breeder or vet to use on dogs. They sell a pour on for cattle that is useless on dogs cause they do not absorb it threw the skin like cattle do. Now if you soak a dog in the pour on an leave it on, assuming the dog does not OD by licking its self it may kill the fleas by contact, but dawn dish soap does the same thing.

The only place I see online where people are even talking about using it for fleas in dogs is just people asking about it an being told no by breeders an vets. An one guy saying how great it works for fleas an ticks on his one dog....

Now if you can point me to somewhere online where a breeder or vet is talking about actual dosing of Ivermectin to treat for fleas I will gladly read it.

Ok so this took me a LONG time to read lol. I have 3 dogs of my own and I also rescue mostly puppies. I'm trying to research pros-cons of Ivermectin. I've been raising chickens for years now and use the Ivermectin..but I believe it is the pour on...will have to go down & double check. What exactly is the difference between the "pour on" and the Ivermectin, 1% sterile solution injectable?

Ok, I have Durvet Ivermectin pour on for cattle (in the yellow box). I use it for mites etc for my chickens. THEN I just paid $40 on a bottle of Ivomec (Ivermectin) Injection for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (in a brown box). I talked to my vet the other day and she was alright with me using it and said all she needed was my dogs weights so she can give me the correct dosages for them. My biggest dog is 90 pounds and she said he would get .02 cc of the 1% solution. My smallest dog is only 12 pounds & said its such a minute amount that she couldn't even give me a correct dosage that I would be able to measure for her. I just don't want to harm my dogs, they are part of my family.

Also I've seen mentioned on this forum about the pour on being used?? Im confused....is the pour on used for heartworm OR the 1% injection???

Ok, I have Durvet Ivermectin pour on for cattle (in the yellow box). I use it for mites etc for my chickens. THEN I just paid $40 on a bottle of Ivomec (Ivermectin) Injection for Cattle & Swine 1% Sterile Solution (in a brown box). I talked to my vet the other day and she was alright with me using it and said all she needed was my dogs weights so she can give me the correct dosages for them. My biggest dog is 90 pounds and she said he would get .02 cc of the 1% solution. My smallest dog is only 12 pounds & said its such a minute amount that she couldn't even give me a correct dosage that I would be able to measure for her. I just don't want to harm my dogs, they are part of my family.

Also I've seen mentioned on this forum about the pour on being used?? Im confused....is the pour on used for heartworm OR the 1% injection???

The 1% injection for cattle and swine for dogs...except collies. I've had Golden Retrievers for years. They are about 80 lbs. I use > .07 cc/ml every month. Start off with a smaller dosage. If your dog is 90 pounds start off with .03 first month, .05 next, until you get to .07 or .08.
I draw it up in a syringe and squirt it over dog food.
My vet told me the reason he is totally against this is because the Heartgard he sells is paying for his staff, saltwater tank, etc. He is an acclaimed vet that has earned many accolades with over 30 years experience.
My dogs never had worms or heartworms. Just sayin'...Most vets hate this.

The 1% injection for cattle and swine for dogs...except collies. I've had Golden Retrievers for years. They are about 80 lbs. I use > .07 cc/ml every month. Start off with a smaller dosage. If your dog is 90 pounds start off with .03 first month, .05 next, until you get to .07 or .08.
I draw it up in a syringe and squirt it over dog food.
My vet told me the reason he is totally against this is because the Heartgard he sells is paying for his staff, saltwater tank, etc. He is an acclaimed vet that has earned many accolades with over 30 years experience.
My dogs never had worms or heartworms. Just sayin'...Most vets hate this.

Great thank you! My vet was all for me doing this until she calculated the dosage for them...She said my 90 lb dog would only get .02cc and she has NO idea how she'd even be able to give me a dosage amt for my 12 lb dog because she wasn't sure how I'd measure "smaller than a drop".

well, thats not true. Ivermectin given in preventative dosages, only kills the microfilaria, not the adult worms. This is commonly used FOR old dogs with heart worm as it allows the adult worms to die off and no new new ones to reach adulthood. and its not as stressing as the heartworm treatment that kills the adults all at once.

Back
Top Bottom