Janoel 12

My incubator has continued at 38*C just like last hatch. My one thermometer has stayed at 100* F or a little less, just like last time. My other thermometer has been totally off and always low. But tonight I have a pip, right at 19 days after set. I didn't expect that . Thought if anything they would be late.
clap.gif
My last hatch started pipping at day 19!! (Hoping this one will too.) So exciting!!

One is out and two more pipped. I helped the one. It had been about 1/4 zipped for three hours. I guess you could say it was a "sticky chick". Am I right that too high humidity at hatch causes this? I had done a dry incubation but then when I added a little water it jumped to 95%. But I just added it the morning before pip in the evening and since the pip was early I didn't have a chance to try to regulate it. I have not had a sticky one before.

One is out and two more pipped. I helped the one. It had been about 1/4 zipped for three hours. I guess you could say it was a "sticky chick". Am I right that too high humidity at hatch causes this? I had done a dry incubation but then when I added a little water it jumped to 95%. But I just added it the morning before pip in the evening and since the pip was early I didn't have a chance to try to regulate it. I have not had a sticky one before.
According to this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491421/shrink-wrap-vs-sticky-chick it's just the opposite, but I don't see how it can be too little humidity unless it happened at the opening of the bator and the dramatic drop in humidity.

Okay I just read that sticky chick was from too high humidity during incubation but except for one day I did a dry incubation. So I am confused by that. I guess we'll see how the rest do. Although come to think of it the humidity was a little higher than I expected early on and I contributed that to the fact that I had quite a few more eggs in the incubator than last time. First time I had 9 in turner and tossed 2 at 10 days and this time I had 15 and turned manually and tossed 4 at 10 days. It is a small incubator. So maybe that had something to do with it. I though the air cells were a little small but they lost the correct amount of weight. EXCEPT I just looked at my records and that egg didn't lose as much as the others. I'm glad I kept records now. It will be interesting to see the correlation. most had lost 13-14% by day 18. That egg had only lost 11 % and one other lost 10%.

Okay I just read that sticky chick was from too high humidity during incubation but except for one day I did a dry incubation. So I am confused by that. I guess we'll see how the rest do. Although come to think of it the humidity was a little higher than I expected early on and I contributed that to the fact that I had quite a few more eggs in the incubator than last time. First time I had 9 in turner and tossed 2 at 10 days and this time I had 15 and turned manually and tossed 4 at 10 days. It is a small incubator. So maybe that had something to do with it. I though the air cells were a little small but they lost the correct amount of weight. EXCEPT I just looked at my records and that egg didn't lose as much as the others. I'm glad I kept records now. It will be interesting to see the correlation. most had lost 13-14% by day 18. That egg had only lost 11 % and one other lost 10%.
I don't weigh, I go by air cells and this time I have been keeping more detailed records and notes on certain eggs so when it comes to hatch I can have an idea of what circumstances surrond what eggs and what I expected to see. I have also read in numerous places that one reason for sticky chick was caused by high humidity during incubation. I go into lockdown tonight..

I'm a labor and delivery nurse and the whole thing just fascinates me. It is so different from human birth but a lot of the same ideas apply, like patience. Unfortunately I can't monitor the wellbeing of the chicks and know when intervention is needed. I have tried to think just let nature take it's course and if they make it they do and if they don't they don't. But I just can't. Once I get my Black Java flock going and hopefully have plenty of broodies I can do that. But this is a perfectly healthy chick who was just sticky and probably because of something I did.

Okay, here is what happened this time around. The Janoel 12 has two racks. You put in the top one and put the turner on it and it holds about 9 decent size chicken eggs. But with this second incubation I had 15 eggs. They were shipped so I wanted to incubate them standing up in cartons. So I put them on the lower hatching rack so there would be enough head room. I did a dry incubation. I think humidity stayed up pretty good due to so many eggs in a small space. I slowly tilted the entire incubator by sitting it on a towel and rolling up one end of the towel a little more each time . I worked up to a good tilt because they were shipped eggs. Tossed 4 clear eggs at 10 days. I recorded weights at start, 7, 14, and 18 days. They lost 10-13%. There was one egg that the shipper had thrown in at the last min. When she/he found it in the barn. It was shipped upside down and had an air cell that never reattached but the chick was growing and moving so I let it go until it quit. Never grew properly. All the other 10 hatched and are doing great under a broody. The completed hatch took longer than the first time. About 2 1/2 days. I also had about 4 sticky chicks. Most hatched on their own just fine. I helped a little with two of them. I can just tell you. The one thing I have come to really hate about this incubator is the lack of the ability to see anything through it. But it obviously works well and since it is small and regains humidity quickly I was able to open and check on the situation. I would rather just be able to see though.

Okay, here is what happened this time around. The Janoel 12 has two racks. You put in the top one and put the turner on it and it holds about 9 decent size chicken eggs. But with this second incubation I had 15 eggs. They were shipped so I wanted to incubate them standing up in cartons. So I put them on the lower hatching rack so there would be enough head room. I did a dry incubation. I think humidity stayed up pretty good due to so many eggs in a small space. I slowly tilted the entire incubator by sitting it on a towel and rolling up one end of the towel a little more each time . I worked up to a good tilt because they were shipped eggs. Tossed 4 clear eggs at 10 days. I recorded weights at start, 7, 14, and 18 days. They lost 10-13%. There was one egg that the shipper had thrown in at the last min. When she/he found it in the barn. It was shipped upside down and had an air cell that never reattached but the chick was growing and moving so I let it go until it quit. Never grew properly. All the other 10 hatched and are doing great under a broody. The completed hatch took longer than the first time. About 2 1/2 days. I also had about 4 sticky chicks. Most hatched on their own just fine. I helped a little with two of them. I can just tell you. The one thing I have come to really hate about this incubator is the lack of the ability to see anything through it. But it obviously works well and since it is small and regains humidity quickly I was able to open and check on the situation. I would rather just be able to see though.
Me too. I am thinking about getting a new incubator and I was undecided, I think I'll get the hova bator with the picture window top. I am so sick of trying to see in this LG's little windows.

Me too. I am thinking about getting a new incubator and I was undecided, I think I'll get the hova bator with the picture window top. I am so sick of trying to see in this LG's little windows.

Have you seen the Incuview? I think if I get another one it'll be that one. You can really see well, looks like.

Back
Top Bottom